Rear shock upgrade advise

arkeye
arkeye Posts: 7
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all. I am wanting to upgrade my rear shock on my giant trance x4 due to wanting something with lockout/pedal power setting. I have heard good reviews of the fox rp23 so am considering this one. Is this a good choice? And what dimensions am I looking for with regards to eye to eye length? And other dimensions? I am 6'1" and weigh about 12.5 - 13 stone. Much of my riding is done at swinley forest or local buckinghamshire which is flat with some inclines.

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    height and weight don't make any difference to the shock

google knows where the pdf of the manual for that bike

in the stats section it will list the shock size
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    RP23 is arguably the best air shock money can buy.
    If you still can;t find the dimensions you're after, give TFTuned a call, they may know. And they'll sell you the shock set up to your needs.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    The manual won't tell you the shock length. Giant manuals don't tell you anything!
    Just measure the eye to eye length (top bolt to bottom bolt). Fox RP23 would be great.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    You also need the stroke.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    arkeye wrote:
    Hi all. I am wanting to upgrade my rear shock on my giant trance x4 due to wanting something with lockout/pedal power setting. I have heard good reviews of the fox rp23 so am considering this one. Is this a good choice? And what dimensions am I looking for with regards to eye to eye length? And other dimensions? I am 6'1" and weigh about 12.5 - 13 stone. Much of my riding is done at swinley forest or local buckinghamshire which is flat with some inclines.

Just checking - you do know the RP23 doesn't have lockout? Good shock though.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.
  • cooldad
    Propedal - most people call it lockout.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Propedal doesn't do the same thing as lockout though.
  • cooldad
    I didn't say it did, but people call it lockout anyway. It does firm up the rear end though, although so does liposuction.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Well those people would be potato counters, and not to be encouraged.
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    The Trance X has a "special" size shock - it is 184mm (eye-to-eye) x 44mm (stroke).

As far as I can see the only shocks available in this size are the Fox RP23 or Rockshox Monarch RT3.

The RT3 gets great reviews from owners that have retro-fitted one to their X2 to X4's on the Giant section of mtbr:

clicky

Most likely going to get one of these for my X4 in the next few days - can get one from Germany, delivered, for £165 which is a helluva lot less than an RP23.

Have also ordered the enduro bearing kit for the top shock mount listed here:

Trance X modifications
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Proutster wrote:
    The Trance X has a "special" size shock - it is 184mm (eye-to-eye) x 44mm (stroke).
    That may not be a problem. If you call TFTuned (Mojo or Loco may also be able to sort you out), there's a good chance they can adapt an off-the-shelf unit to your needs.
  • mrmonkfinger
    mrmonkfinger Posts: 1,452
    Proutster wrote:

I can't help thinking a 190x50 set up with a tiny weenie bit more sag would work fine, and that's an easy size to find.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    6mm is quite a difference, enough to make it possible for the frame to collide with something during suspension action.
  • Proutster
    Proutster wrote:

I can't help thinking a 190x50 set up with a tiny weenie bit more sag would work fine, and that's an easy size to find.

Yes, this is something that some of the people on the mtbr forum above have done and they haven't had any problems - some discussion about changing the BB height, but I couldn't be arsed to read all of that :D

If my only option in that "special size" was an RP23 at almost £400 then I'd either inesvtigate TFTuned/Mojo/Loco as above from Yeeha or go the 190x50mm route but, as above, the Monarch RT3 in the correct size at £165 delivered looks like the right thing for me.
  • Proutster
    Arrived today:

photo-1.jpg

Rockshox Monarch RT3 in mid tune, mid compression, 184 x 44mm to replace the standard Giant shock. Just got to waIt for the Enduro needle bearings for the top mount then I can fit it.

Wondering whether to replace all of the bearings in the pivots etc. at the same time - I haven't noticed any play, but it's got to happen soon, so why not replace them when I've got the bike apart?