Sora Groupset Replacement

Tiltzey Boy
Tiltzey Boy Posts: 120
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Afternoon all!!
Currently riding a 2010 Giant Defy 3, it's done about 5k miles in the 2 years or so I've had it, and the BB has just about finally given out, as well as the rear mech being pretty much worn out.
The current BB is FSA MegaExo (External), crank set is FSA Omega, and the rest of the gear is Shimano Sora (Triple).

I'm contemplating swapping the whole groupset for a nearly new (100 mile old) full Sora compact (double) groupset that I've found in the classifieds on here.
My question is are there likely to be any major issues in changing from a triple to compact double?

Any advice would be hugely appreciated!!!

Cheers folks!!
:D
Scott CR1 Pro (Build in progress!!)
Giant Defy 3

Comments

• Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    I think you will have to change the BB to suit a double to get the correct chain line.
    Other than that, there shouldnt be any problems, that I know of.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • Tiltzey Boy
    Cheers Rodders.
    Chain line was one of the things that I thought may cause an issue, especially as this is my first attempt at this kind of job!
    The replacement groupset comes with the correct BB though, so I presumed that would be ok?
    Giant Defy 3
  • Rodders30
    Rodders30 Posts: 314
    If you got the BB with it then no probs.

Well, not that I know of from my experiance.
    Trek 1.5 Road
    Haro MTB
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    If you're doing a wholesale groupset change then you shouldn't hit any problems like that.

I'm about to undertake similar with my 2009 Defy 3, as the bike fits me very well and will make a great autumn bike (i.e. for rides when the full winter bike with guards is overkill, but there's wet roads/risk of rain you don't want to risk it on the Sunday best!!)
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Tiltzey Boy
    Cheers Tommy

Are you upgrading components or going like for like?
    I've toyed with the idea of upgrading, but can't bring myself to part with the extra cash for minimal improvements!!
    Plus, seriously contemplating getting a new bike when the 2013 models come out, hopefully I'll be able to get a really good deal on a 2012 model, so will either sell on the Defy or use it as a winter bike!!
    Giant Defy 3
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Well I'm doing a fair bit of chopping and changing.

Winter bike has 105 compact, the bike I've got for time trialling has a 105 triple, so they could do with being the other way round, and the Defy needs new parts. So was actually thinking put the 105 compact onto the Defy, move the 105 triple onto the winter bike, and buy mainly Tiagra parts for the time trialler (since will be ridden the least and weight is not such an issue on TTs)

Complicated? Yes.
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • Tiltzey Boy
    Haha! That should keep you busy for a while then!!
    Giant Defy 3
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    An autumn bike! Love it!