Equivalent Replacement Wheel For Specialized Allez?

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi my rear wheel on my Specialized allez sport triple (2010 I think) has untrued itself now about 5 times, during this time about 3 spokes have snapped + been replaced.

1. I don't know if there could be a greater problem with me / the bike itself causing this - I am a "heavy" rider but not an aggressive one, I do not have stupidly unmatched gears on the front or back, I do not have very unmatched gears on the front + back when cycling, I do not use paniers or change gear while going uphill.

2. Could you recommend a roughly equal or better (but not worse) spec wheel for me, I got the bike from evans but I dont really want to get a wheel from my local shop. Its just the stock wheel that came with the bike, with an unbranded hub, spokes and a sunrims s500 rim

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Shimano R501, £75 a pair!
  • Anonymous
    Those look nice, I was also looking at the shimano rs10, which is more expensive but is it much better / worse? I didn't really want to get a new front one aswell, as long as its safe I dont mind if they don't match and my local shop was charging about £80 for the entry level wheels. Thanks

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... 3#features
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    Those look nice, I was also looking at the shimano rs10, which is more expensive but is it much better / worse? I didn't really want to get a new front one aswell, as long as its safe I dont mind if they don't match and my local shop was charging about £80 for the entry level wheels. Thanks

Entry level wheels are absolute garbage... heavy rims, poor quality spokes, terrible bearings, they will let you down after a couple of wet rides. For not much more you can treat yourself to something decent that does make a difference to your ride
    left the forum March 2023
  • Anonymous

Entry level wheels are absolute garbage... heavy rims, poor quality spokes, terrible bearings, they will let you down after a couple of wet rides. For not much more you can treat yourself to something decent that does make a difference to your ride

Would the shimano r501's be ok? Would they be better quality than the stock spec ones do you reckon? or which of the rs10/20/30s would be better if the 500 isnt? Or would another model / manufacturer be ok? I dont mind spending a bit more to get better but I dont want to go down in quality. Thanks again
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    I think the point is that the current wheels and ones similar to it are low quality. Anything at that price range is going to be no more than functional (all though given your problem that is debateable).

You need to spend around £200 to £300 on a set before you really get into better quality. Handbuilt at that price could be very good indeed.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Anonymous
    Rs30's are within that range, anybody ever used them, I think overall I'd prefer to get factory wheels rather than custom ones. Thanks

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/w ... -pair.html
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Heh heh heh! And so the scope creep starts... The R501's are of a similar quality to what you already have, which is what you asked for. If you want to get something better and in the next bracket then you will need to spend about £200. For that, the obvious factory built choices are F5s, Aksiums or RS30's. All will be slightly nicer, well built (to a degree), reasonably light and spin up well...but in order to get something that feels noticably better, why not go for some RS80s or some Krysiums, shame not to look at a new bike too :)