front brake binding and poor performance

charliedontsurf
charliedontsurf Posts: 70
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
got my new bike all set up last night and went on a little ride managed 14 miles not bad since i havent done any exercise in 5 years and havent been on a bike in 14 years.

anyway i noticed the front rotor is dragging on one of the pads at one point in its rotation whats the best way to fix this ? they are formula rx callipers also the same front seems to offer next to no performance it does sort of stop eventually the rear is better but not as good as id have imagined it tbh i suppose im not sure what they should be like since ive never been on a bike with discs before

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    who set it up?

calipers alinged correctly?

pads been bedded in as per formulas guide?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • its a radon team 7 it arrived yesterday so id say set up by them. aligned correctly who knows bedded in i doubt it
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    i noticed the front rotor is dragging on one of the pads at one point in its rotation whats the best way to fix this
    Check very thoroughly that what you say is really what's happening, then gently tweak the disc back into shape with an adjustable spanner. If you have the least doubt about your ability to manage this, leave it to the LBS
    front seems to offer next to no performance it does sort of stop eventually the rear is better but not as good as id have imagined it tbh i suppose im not sure what they should be like since ive never been on a bike with discs before
    There's no way in this world that a well set-up disc brake should offer "next to no performance". Something's wrong there, and I suggest a word with whoever sent it to you. If a return's in order, get them to have a look at that warped disc too.
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Giraffoto wrote:
    Something's wrong there, and I suggest a word with whoever sent it to you. If a return's in order, get them to have a look at that warped disc too.
    One of the downsides to saving money buying mail order from the continent is that it's probably easier to sort it out yourself.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fixed it i think loosened calliper and re centred it now it seems fine