new bike - upgrade?

bossman13
bossman13 Posts: 106
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
hi

been off the bike for c.18mths now after falling out of love with it, but feel reinvigorated now after watching TDF and also having the opportunity to get a shiny new bike!

question is this...

currently have a Giant SCR2 (first ever road bike) which I have done a good amount of miles on, mostly commuting to work. In terms of new bike I have been lookin at the Orbea Aqua TTG which have been fitted out for at my LBS. I am close to confirming my order but just have a slight concern that it is not really much of an 'upgrade' from what I have already. apart from the carbon stem and seatpost, the tiagra gears etc all look pretty similar and so was hoping that someone out there may have some experience of one/both of these bikes and could advise their thoughts.

was thinking of keeping the scr with mudguards etc for commuting and then have the orbea for sunny days and weekend rides etc.

any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments

• TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    Why not get out on your SCR and see if you get the bug back properly?
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • bossman13
    bossman13 Posts: 106
    yeah just started to do just that. i have 2/3 weeks to confirm order so decent bit of time to get into the swing of things again before i make any decisions.
  • logitech208
    logitech208 Posts: 167
    I'd stick with what you have to make sure its not just a fad the giant is a decent bike, have you thought about spending some money on upgrading you current bike, new wheels and tyres maybe.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    TommyEss wrote:
    Why not get out on your SCR and see if you get the bug back properly?

I agree with this.

I just don't think that a flashy new bike is a very good basis for a cycling hobby. The 'honeymoon period' always wears off, and you could always make the order later. You could get a new jersey or something, though...?
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    You could get a new jersey or something, though...?

+1 I always find if I buy new bib or jersey or even something little for my bike I want to go out for a ride straight away.
  • beams87
    beams87 Posts: 151
    I've got an Orbea Aqua TTG, in your spec but with some upgrades.

The Orbea is a stunning bike, I love it. If you can find one in Orange/Black it is well worth it.

Easily recognisable and the Carbok forks and seat post are most defo a +1. My setup came with 105 rear D which is a dream, and I have wacked on DA 7900 double front chainset. All in all a very nippy bike, and I couldnt be happier! I use it as my commuter, excersize and for long rides (can't afford to get a summer only bike).

Whatever you get, if it fits and you are whipping arse then you are winning.

If you do buy, make sure you get the 10spd model.
    "A beaten path is for beaten men"