Rockshox lubricating and bottom out damping

JamesGo
JamesGo Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi all,

I've just been stripping down my Tora 302s - the damper oil had leaked into the lower leg and drastically reduced the travel.

Here's a question - the 15mls or so of 15w oil in the bottoms of both legs..... is this for 'lubrication' or to prevent bottom out clunk? I'm not sure how a bit of oil swilling around in the bottom of the fork leg can lubricate the rest of the leg. And does is prevent bottom out clunk, or have I made this up..? Seems to me that the bottoms of the uppers might use the oil in the lowers as a buffer...

One problem - my lock out totally doesn't work - might this be because a may not have put quite enough damping oil in. Or should I have taken more care in lining something up when replacing the motion control cartridge.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

james

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    1 have you added the stated amounts of oil for the damping? And correct weight?

2 you have downloaded the service manual with this info?

The oil in both chambers helps lube but the thicker oil in th lower sticks about better and does most.

The oil has little to what you are sugesting other than changing the size of the air chamber which will reduce travel and ramp up the compression of the air.

Think of it as lots of closed chambers changing size.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The lockout is not supposed to totally lock, as per the manual.