TANSTAAFL

monkeycowboy
monkeycowboy Posts: 186
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Monday, environment week at work, so Evans come in to promote their cycle2work scheme and another company come in to offer free servicing on bikes.

The front brake cable on my fixed had lost the ferrule and pulled through the lever, its been like it for months, it didnt bother me too much, it worked, to a fashion. Anyway, I gave it to the guy offering the free service explained what was wrong, it was added to the queue of BSO that had been brought in for the special occasion. 30 minutes later, new outer, bar tape re-wrapped (badly) and bike locked back in the bike shed.

This morning I notice a crease in the top tube of my frame, its a Felt Dispatch, so has funky shaped tubing, and can only assume the spanner monkey used his gorilla power to clamp my bike in his work stand.

Stuck in back to back meetings today, but tomorrow the company will be getting a call, I doubt it will result in anything positive as it'll be my word against his.

Knew I should have just done it myself, he also "adjusted" my rear brake... I had to un-adjust it to get the wheel to spin, I'll also have to rewrap the bar tape.

Comments

• Dog Breath
    Dog Breath Posts: 314
    How many people know what TANSTAAFL means without Googling it ? I certainly didn't. Do people think they are being clever using acronyms for just about anything.

I think I'll write my next thread as an acronym. That will confuse the sh1t out of everyone
    Planet-X SL Pro Carbon.
    Tifosi CK3 Winter Bike
    Planet X London Road Disc
    Planet X RT80 Elite
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    There ain't no such thing as a free lunch. As eny fule no.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • monkeycowboy
    monkeycowboy Posts: 186
    Dog Breath wrote:
    How many people know what TANSTAAFL means without Googling it ? I certainly didn't. Do people think they are being clever using acronyms for just about anything.

I think I'll write my next thread as an acronym. That will confuse the sh1t out of everyone

LOL MYRTTT?
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 27,688
    Alternatively, anything given away free usually isn't worth having.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Agent57 wrote:

Certainly due to this fule reading too much Heinlein. Did read a suggestion the other day that if you're not paying for something, chances are you're the product being sold - e.g. Gmail.

MonkeyCowboy; good luck with getting resolution, but you may well be SOL.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Agent57 wrote:

TINSTAAFL would make more sense! TANSTAAFL implies that there is such a thing as a free lunch (double negs and all that plus less sloppy English).

Mind you, in a world of laziness where everything is reduced to multi-letter acronyms, what does make sense.

Or, as I might put it "MYIAWOLWEIRTMLAWDMS"
    Faster than a tent.......