Noob needing help!

BikernatS
BikernatS Posts: 57
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Changed the forks on my brothers bike... what I didnt realise (being a bike noob) is that the forks i've got have a different brake mount. Doh.....

SO my question is, is there an adaptor you can buy to make the brakes fit the new forks? I'll get a pic tomorrow to show you which mounting i'm trying to work around... but i'll TRY and explain now :D

The ones i've got have a mount the goes in towards the forks. Whereas the brakes mount on one which has them on a tab coming from the fork, with the holes pointing towards the wheel... not easy to explain but I hope you know what I mean :D

Thinking it might be work buying new brakes that fit the new forks but will I have to watch the spacings and rotors and such? or is it a "plug and play" type deal?

Any help much appreciated :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Basically yes. See the topic in the FAQs above.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    What you need is an 'IS to Post Mount' adaptor. What you will also need is an adaptor that mathces the diameter of the brake rotor.

CHances are the rotors are a standard 160mm dia, but this can be easily checked with a rule. In which case you'd need an IS to Post adaptor for a 160mm disk. Simples!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • BikernatS
    Whoohoo.

Ta guys... i'll check out FAQs now, sorry :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Clank wrote:
    What you need is an 'IS to Post Mount' adaptor. What you will also need is an adaptor that mathces the diameter of the brake rotor.

CHances are the rotors are a standard 160mm dia, but this can be easily checked with a rule. In which case you'd need an IS to Post adaptor for a 160mm disk. Simples!
    May be but with the info provided I would not be so confident.

I see no info on the brakes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    nicklouse wrote:
    May be but with the info provided I would not be so confident.

I see no info on the brakes.

Nicklouse is right

I meant to say 'Post to IS' adaptor, not 'IS to post'.
    My bad. :lol:

Something like this:
    http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shi ... t-ec008657

But as he says, it may depend on the caliper and the disk diameter.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • BikernatS
    So i'll post pictures and dimensions tomorrow then? :) Sorry guys but I realy REALY dont have much of a clue....
  • BikernatS
    The bike is a Carerra Subway 2, just bought some Suntour Mag 32 Air's. I assume the discs on them are standard 160mm. Brakes... I have no idea, just the bog standard mechanical calipers that came on it (These will be upgraded when funds allow). I will post pics tomorrow and take measurements to make sure :)

Thanks again.