Loose freehub

iBringKarma
iBringKarma Posts: 4
edited July 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
There's been a knocking noise each time I pedal down with my drive side. I replaced pedals because there was a bit of play on the drive side pedal. Give out, knocking is still there. Checked bottom bracket, there's no movement. Removed it and cleaned it. I've realised the cassette has a bit of play as though it's loosely attached. I took cassette off and . Cleaned it. However the movement is the the free hub on the hub. Can I fix that or do I need a new buy a w hub orheel? Basically I lay he wheel flat and can wiggle the fly wheel. Think this is the cause of my knocking.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    And the hub is a?

There are no fly wheels on a bike. What are you moving?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • My mistake, typing to fast for my brain. Free hub is wobbly. It's a rear formula disc hub
  • There's been a knocking noise each time I pedal down with my drive side. I replaced pedals because there was a bit of play on the drive side pedal. Give out, knocking is still there. Checked bottom bracket, there's no movement. Removed it and cleaned it. I've realised the cassette has a bit of play as though it's loosely attached. I took cassette off and . Cleaned it. However the movement is the the free hub on the hub. Can I fix it or do I need a new hub or wheel? Basically I lay he wheel flat and can wiggle the freehub. Think this is the cause of my knocking.

Any ideas?
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends whether you can strip it down and check the bearings etc.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    My mistake, typing to fast for my brain. Free hub is wobbly. It's a rear formula disc hub
    Again more I of needed as they do make more than one disc hub.

So yes and no.
    Strip it down and you will soon know and your lbs will now beable to ID what body you now need if it is not serviceable.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown