Cassette choice

sensi10
sensi10 Posts: 68
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all , was wondering if anybody could help.

I removed my cassette last night and noticed that the cassette has damaged my free hub body. It has done this by marking all the groves in the freehub body where the cassette slides on.
I would therefor like to replace the cassette with one thats not going to make the freehub any worse , I have a Sram pg 950 11 - 34.
Is there one that anybody can recommend that would not cost the earth that wont do this ? Also is this more a sram thing as I have never noticed this before with shimano cassettes?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Steel or aluminium freehub?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It happens.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    It's not really a problem, if the burrs are stopping you getting the cassette off easily file them down lightly.

No cassette will avoid it entirely, best you can do is a SRAM XX/XG999, but they're almost certainly more expensive than your hub.
  • sensi10
    sensi10 Posts: 68
    Ok guys thanks for the response , I think I know why its doing this now as the freehub is alloy and the cassette is steel.
  • cooldad
    Aluminium freehubs are another of those stupid 'save weight at the expense of brains' designs.
    XT cassettes have a carrier that stops the bigger rings eating the hub.
    20677-1.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    Aluminium freehubs are another of those stupid 'save weight at the expense of brains' designs.

So use a steel freehub. It's really not as big an issue as some people seem to think. I've been using alu freehubs for more than 10 years, Pro 2s and Superstars bought them (and lighter wheels) to the masses! I'd far rather have the lighter wheels and slightly more faff to remove my cassette twice a year!

A cassette like an XT will help, but the small ones will still dig in.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    SLX has ally spider as well......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • njee20
    Only on 3(?) sprockets, vs 5 for XT.

Fairly irrelevant anyway, as the bottom ones are still loose!
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:

So use a steel freehub. It's really not as big an issue as some people seem to think. I've been using alu freehubs for more than 10 years, Pro 2s and Superstars bought them (and lighter wheels) to the masses! I'd far rather have the lighter wheels and slightly more faff to remove my cassette twice a year!

A cassette like an XT will help, but the small ones will still dig in.
    I do, although one wheel lying around has a blingy titanium one. Not being a racing snake like you, it makes little difference to me. Still a matter of wrong material for the application, IMHO of course.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    So get cheaper hubs with a steel freehub body... :?
  • cooldad
    I think you said that already.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    It's the obvious solution, don't really get why you're complaining!

Do you also think it's bad that a Ferrari uses more petrol than a Fiesta!?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    njee20 wrote:

Nope, but it would be a bad idea for Ferrari to make engine covers that are made of chocolate.
    I'm with CD here, it's just the wrong material for the application, lighter or not.
    I can;t help thinking that it would be fine if they coated it in TiNi or something.
  • cooldad
    njee20 wrote:

I'm not complaining - I do use steel feehubs. The OP has aluminium freehubs.
    I was just pointing out that I think it's a stupid idea.
    I also believe that performance enhancing drugs can lead to brain fade.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • njee20
    I can;t help thinking that it would be fine if they coated it in TiNi or something.

Wouldn't that just reduce friction, rather than actually being any harder?

Hope used to use ti freehubs, which don't do it as badly. Tune offer an 'upgrade' to a heavier, more expensive ti freehub too.

Shimano's solution on the first 10 speed group of deeper splines was best IMO, but did require buy-in from all the manufacturers, and would mean a lack of reverse compatibility on freehubs, which folk weren't keen on!

That or the AM Classic solution of steel inserts on the leading edges of the splines.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Titanium Nitride is an incredibly hard surface, as well as being a very smooth surface.
    It is a little more brittle, but I don't think that would cause any issues on a freehub - there's very little shock-loading.