Buying my first road bike

robbiej01
robbiej01 Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Feeling motivated, along with many others I expect, from Bradley Wiggins success in the Tour De France I have decided to take the plunge and get myself a roadbike. Have searched various forums and read numerous reviews and have narrowed it down to these options:

Wilier Lavaredo Mirage 2011 Bike (£599)
http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2011_Bike

Felt F85 (£638.99)
http://feltbicycles.com/United-Kingdom/ ... s/F85.aspx

Canyon Roadlite 6.0 SL (£789)
http://www.canyon.com/_uk/roadbikes/bike.html?b=2501

Would really appreciate some advice on these choices, I really don't care that the Wilier is a 2011 model, think it looks great so if it compares favourably to the other choices and is cheaper solely because it's an old model then I'll choose that but have heard great things about the other choices too so am in a state of confusion. Will be using this bike for weekend rides roughly 30miles long I imagine but will be doing the London-Paris bike ride next year and want to be able to stand up straight at the end of it!!! Just want something light/fast but durable, and I'm not looking at spending a fortune on upgrades. Feel free to suggest others if you feel I've missed a trick but would really appreciate some professional advice on this as I don't have a clue, thanks in advance for your help. Rob

Comments

• ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    If that Wilier is your size i'd go for it.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    The Willier does look good but the size really is the important thing (!).

Don't forget to budget for all the extras as they really can add up. Some nice bib shorts from dhb will get you started, Bolle safety glasses, a mid-priced helmet, gloves and shoes (as stiff as you can afford). Basic rescue kit of tubes, levers, pump and multitool. Then come all the clothing options when the weather is something other than hot sun, Jeesh!!!
  • robbiej01
    robbiej01 Posts: 3
    It's hard to look past the Wilier isn't it especially as it's £200 cheaper than my other options, sounds like that saving won't last too long though with all the additional kit. I'm 6ft with 33inch inside leg so think Large should be right but that's the problem with buying online I guess. Just off to a LBS to try out a few others and to get an idea of size, thanks for your help.
  • roypsb
    roypsb Posts: 309
    robbiej01 wrote:
    It's hard to look past the Wilier isn't it especially as it's £200 cheaper than my other options, sounds like that saving won't last too long though with all the additional kit. I'm 6ft with 33inch inside leg so think Large should be right but that's the problem with buying online I guess. Just off to a LBS to try out a few others and to get an idea of size, thanks for your help.

Agree about the Wilier - but I am biased! Large sounds about right for you. Cyclesurgery near me stock Wilier. If you're near one it would be sensible to go and take a look.

Good luck - exciting times buying a new bike!