Grinding noise from hubs...

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited July 2012 in Workshop
As title. Two month old Ksyrium Elites. Just got back from the Pyrenees, the wheels were fine there. Washed the bike and wheels yesterday (by hand with soap & water) and this morning I noticed a regular grinding when the front wheel is spun. Went for a ride and it's still there, albeit more quietly. What can I do about this?

Comments

• Two months - old claim for a replacement pair or repair to perfect under warranty - should not be an issue with Mavic or the retailer.
  • Mike03776
    Mike03776 Posts: 40
    If they won't replace it, take the bearings our and then regrease the hubs, sounds like you might have a bit of grit stuck in there or something. Regreasing the hubs should sort it out.
  • Mike03776 wrote:
    If they won't replace it, take the bearings our and then regrease the hubs, sounds like you might have a bit of grit stuck in there or something. Regreasing the hubs should sort it out.

Appreciate the intention is to help but I beg to differ - yes you may well be able to fix this kind of thing yourself - but - if there was grit in there it has done damage to a set of wheels that are only two months old. Regardless of what caused the noise its never going to get better with time and the wheels are well within warranty. I stick by my original opinion - so - if they won't replace they should repair to perfect state - if you do it yourself you risk compromising any further warranty claim you may have to make (related or not to this problem).

Not looking for an argument Mike03776 just different perspective on this :D
  • Mike03776
    Mike03776 Posts: 40
    Mike03776 wrote:

Appreciate the intention is to help but I beg to differ - yes you may well be able to fix this kind of thing yourself - but - if there was grit in there it has done damage to a set of wheels that are only two months old. Regardless of what caused the noise its never going to get better with time and the wheels are well within warranty. I stick by my original opinion - so - if they won't replace they should repair to perfect state - if you do it yourself you risk compromising any further warranty claim you may have to make (related or not to this problem).

No that's fine, I agree with what you're saying, if they've still been riding on it it could have damaged the bearings, which then riding on further will only make it worst. With me being a mechanic for several years it is a job I would do myself, I have seen some shoddy work at certain bike shops and like to know the work done is up to standard. But yes, I agree your option should be the first route taken.
  • Mike03776 wrote:
    Mike03776 wrote:

No that's fine, I agree with what you're saying, if they've still been riding on it it could have damaged the bearings, which then riding on further will only make it worst. With me being a mechanic for several years it is a job I would do myself, I have seen some shoddy work at certain bike shops and like to know the work done is up to standard. But yes, I agree your option should be the first route taken.

Absolutely - I have almost (but not quite yet!) given up hope of finding a decent bike mechanic within reasonable travelling distance of my home. I have tried a few and they range from downright shoddy to alright but far from good. The only plus side is my missus now approves all tool purchases as she says I will never find anyone who will be as careful with my bike as I will! Sadly I don't have the skill set to take advantage - but - as each job comes up I troll the web watch the u-tube videos and so far have managed!