Norco sight 2 : yellowing paint

mikerawly83
mikerawly83 Posts: 7
edited October 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
I bought my White norco sight around 2 weeks ago and I have noticed the paint yellowing quite bad around headset cranks and bb( and also around some of the nuts) is it the grease or something! Has anyone had this problem and what do Evans have to say. I know it's cosmetic but for £2.5 k you'd expect not to have this problem.
Other than that the bike is great!
Mike

Comments

• I know I seen that but didn't see a response for just the yellowing , probably just ring Evans an say I wanna swap, pain in the arse though!
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    They must have used Dulux gloss. They had this problem recently.

In all seriousness it can be a problem with some paint batches.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Haha I know I've had that problem in my house with the gloss haha. Ringing evans cycles now will let you know the outcome!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    t-cut an polish? Sounds like bearing grease is affecting it
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    Haha I know I've had that problem in my house with the gloss haha. Ringing evans cycles now will let you know the outcome!
    Which was?
    Nicolai CC
  • They told me it was one of those things with. White bikes and that's why ( the guy at Evans ) would never buy one! But bring it in anyway he said!
    I was probably going to just live with it but after that answer I'll be taking it in and won't be leaving until it's swapped!
    What do you's think on the matter!
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    edited July 2012
    They told me it was one of those things with. White bikes and that's why ( the guy at Evans ) would never buy one! But bring it in anyway he said!
    I was probably going to just live with it but after that answer I'll be taking it in and won't be leaving until it's swapped!

I think he's right!

Seal it with Autoglym resin polish or extra Gloss Protection that way it won't be a complete bastard to keep clean and will be less likely to yellow.
  • warpcow
    warpcow Posts: 1,448
    They told me it was one of those things with. White bikes and that's why ( the guy at Evans ) would never buy one!

Absolute BS I'd say. I owned a white Inbred for years and never had any discolouration in the paint. Inbreds aren't exactly known for their quality paint either.
  • Holyzeus
    Holyzeus Posts: 354
    They told me it was one of those things with. White bikes and that's why ( the guy at Evans ) would never buy one! But bring it in anyway he said!
    Not after 2 weeks though, take it back
    Nicolai CC
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134

Quality customer service that.

"One of the things about white bikes is that they go yellow after two weeks".

Bollocks.
  • waby1234
    Take it back. Would you accept it if your brand new white car went yellow?
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • Beardface
    Beardface Posts: 5,495
    I have, and have had, many white bikes over the years - none have gone yellow, not even a cream tint.

The Evans guy is talking BS. I'm not sure what's up with them at the moment, but I've had no end of problems with Evans recently. Telling me stock was there, then it wasn't, then it was sold to somebody else. When the bike (for my o/h) arrived, they built it, but it had loose bars, the hub gears weren't properly indexed etc etc.. problem after problem.

Another time, I placed an order over the phone, got an order ref. 2 weeks later - nothing. Called them, they told me somebody deleted the order. Awesome :roll: Ranted a little, and they did give me £40 vouchers, which was nice, but still.. loads of problems.

I'm intrigued to know where you're based or which branch this was, to see if it's a local problem, or a more general problem. I know the south east and head office have been quite poor of late.

Take the bike back - 2 weeks and the paint is going? It's not 'something that happens with white bikes' at all. You shouldn't accept that as an answer. Good luck!
  • El_tel
    El_tel Posts: 2
    Hi,

Been looking to see if anyone else was having the "yellowing" problem and looks like i'm not along after all...

I bought my Sight 2 SE just over three weeks ago and just after getting it home notice the yellowing. It was under the topcoat/lacquer so could not be polished out. The Lakeside store were very helpful and swopped the bike straight over.

When I picked up the new bike it only had a slight bit of yellow round the headset so was happy. However, this has now started to spread and new areas cropping up over the bike. After speaking with the manager at Evans it appears it is causes by a reaction of the grease with the white paint, Norco are aware of the problem and "are going to do something about it, just not sure what it is yet"

I know it's probably only a cosmetic issue but my concerns are that it spreads, I had literally a couple mm round my headset, two weeks later the lurgie has spread... The bike is great and coming from an old short travel hardtail has opened up a whole new area of riding for me, but at £2500 even cosmetic issues grate a bit.

I have emailed Evans customer service and it has been passed onto the warranty department. Will post any updates I get.

Here are a few pics:

Original Frame
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83620702@N ... 772379008/

New Frame
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83620702@N ... 772744118/

Terry
  • waby1234
    It does sound like a dodgy paint batch.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• El_tel wrote:
    Hi,

Been looking to see if anyone else was having the "yellowing" problem and looks like i'm not along after all...

I bought my Sight 2 SE just over three weeks ago and just after getting it home notice the yellowing. It was under the topcoat/lacquer so could not be polished out. The Lakeside store were very helpful and swopped the bike straight over.

When I picked up the new bike it only had a slight bit of yellow round the headset so was happy. However, this has now started to spread and new areas cropping up over the bike. After speaking with the manager at Evans it appears it is causes by a reaction of the grease with the white paint, Norco are aware of the problem and "are going to do something about it, just not sure what it is yet"

I know it's probably only a cosmetic issue but my concerns are that it spreads, I had literally a couple mm round my headset, two weeks later the lurgie has spread... The bike is great and coming from an old short travel hardtail has opened up a whole new area of riding for me, but at £2500 even cosmetic issues grate a bit.

I have emailed Evans customer service and it has been passed onto the warranty department. Will post any updates I get.

Here are a few pics:

Original Frame
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83620702@N ... 772379008/

New Frame
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/83620702@N ... 772744118/

Terry

Have you been taking pictures of my bike haha

More impotantly i have composed an email with photos to send directly to norco and evens, My only problem is finding an email address! Does anyone have or know one!

The only email i mamaged to send to was; community.manager@evanscycles.com

I would have really of liked to have sent to norco as well but the email; info@norco.com returned as a delivery failure!

Ill keep you posted on the response and anymore emails will be apprieiated

Mike Rawly
  • El_tel
    El_tel Posts: 2
    Have you been taking pictures of my bike haha

More impotantly i have composed an email with photos to send directly to norco and evens, My only problem is finding an email address! Does anyone have or know one!

The only email i mamaged to send to was; community.manager@evanscycles.com

I would have really of liked to have sent to norco as well but the email; info@norco.com returned as a delivery failure!

Ill keep you posted on the response and anymore emails will be apprieiated

Mike Rawly

I don't think Norco have any contact details on their site. I sent a web form enquiry to their web team but got a reply saying my enquiry wasn't to do with websites so to contact my dealer.

I sent my email to Evans at the address: contactcentreteam@evanscycles.com which worked fine. Just waiting for an answer...

Best of luck, keep me posted
  • waby1234
    If you are after a contact number try http://www.saynoto0870.com

Lots of numbers on there for Evans Cycles.
    2011 Carrera Fury

• I have the same issue

I noticed yellowing around the headset and it got worse. I returned the bike to Evans and they informed me that Norco know its a problem. Because its quite well spread they haven't issued a statement of what their going to do and impacts a large number of bikes, not just a isolated few by the sounds of it from Evans.

I've been waiting a few weeks, then found a crack on the frame. I returned the bike to Evans and they replaced the frame and not the complete bike. I wanted a complete new bike because its only 5 weeks old. The new frame has yellowing already and i'm sure its going to get worse. Because of this, the bike is still with Evans.

The bike rides amazing, but the big ?????? has ruined my experience. Currently looking at different bikes and in the process of asking for a full refund. Another story and another thread.

Norco haven't come up with any statement and i'm worried what the outcome holds. So looking at the refund option. Evan's tell me that Norco will replace the bike for the third time. But each time the bike is stripped and off the road.

I'll post pics later tonight.
  • 7687564928_a66ec7ee27_c.jpg
    7687564642_0426618648_c.jpg
    7687565262_0c73fab8ea_c.jpg
  • Question is now

What Bike to replace it with

Whats these like ?

http://www.lapierre-bikes.co.uk/mtb/all ... 14#onglets
  • waby1234
    Try the buying advice section for best coverage
    2011 Carrera Fury

• So has anyone else had any news or luck with the yellowing issue ?
  • 1mancity2
    1mancity2 Posts: 2,355
    warpcow wrote:
    They told me it was one of those things with. White bikes and that's why ( the guy at Evans ) would never buy one!

Absolute BS I'd say. I owned a white Inbred for years and never had any discolouration in the paint. Inbreds aren't exactly known for their quality paint either.

Spot on!!

Its probably a none uv stable paint product for indoor use only, are the frames powder coated or painted?

A 2pack based paint which is uv stable and used for the correct application would not go yellow or discolour, nor would a polyester powder.

I painted my reign white months ago and its still as white now as it was then.
    Finished, Check out my custom Giant Reign 2010
    Dirt Jumper Dmr Sidekick2
  • KimH
    KimH Posts: 3
    I have been offered a Sight 2 at a reduced prize due to the yellow color around the headset. But I am not sure if I want to go for this. Does anybody have a picture of how bad this is after long time use?

Has it been determined exactly what causes this and what can be done to prevent further damage?

Regards
    Kim

PS: The bike I have been offered is not the second edition with the Fox fork. Any negatives on the RS fork on the first edition of the Sight 2?
  • KimH wrote:
    I have been offered a Sight 2 at a reduced prize due to the yellow color around the headset. But I am not sure if I want to go for this. Does anybody have a picture of how bad this is after long time use?

Has it been determined exactly what causes this and what can be done to prevent further damage?

Regards
    Kim

PS: The bike I have been offered is not the second edition with the Fox fork. Any negatives on the RS fork on the first edition of the Sight 2?

I've got a new frame on order from Norco. Without the yellow they say. If it has got it again, i'll be asking for my money back.

The bike is amazing and see if Norco will replace under warranty. But how bad it will get, ???? that nobody really knows.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Why would Norco replace that under warranty if it's sold at a discount because of it?
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • equinefunk
    equinefunk Posts: 323
    I had the White Norco Sight. I had a paint problem with the Rocker. It was really minor but Evans gave me a replacement Norco Sight LE frame. I was more than happy with that & I had I great service with them regularly updating me on the bike status.
    I guess they will have ran out of the Norco Sight 2 as they're replaced with the Sight Killer 650B.

Is that the paint discolouring due to paint issue or is it rust from the Headset? It looks similar to something I see in my work when carbon steel parts rust and the rust runs onto Paint. This could happen after you've washed your bike.
    I'm over 6' and have quite a large head.
  • equinefunk wrote:
    I had the White Norco Sight. I had a paint problem with the Rocker. It was really minor but Evans gave me a replacement Norco Sight LE frame. I was more than happy with that & I had I great service with them regularly updating me on the bike status.
    I guess they will have ran out of the Norco Sight 2 as they're replaced with the Sight Killer 650B.

Is that the paint discolouring due to paint issue or is it rust from the Headset? It looks similar to something I see in my work when carbon steel parts rust and the rust runs onto Paint. This could happen after you've washed your bike.

Nope its not rust. I had yellow marks on other parts of the frame.

Just got a new replacement frame and its going yellow. Cleaned it today and found the rear shock/bearing lose. Going back to EVANS yet again.

I think its time to get my money back. I really really wanted to love the Norco, but the built is pants
  • waby1234
    Could they do you a different colour?
    2011 Carrera Fury