Rockrider 6.3 or ....??

no_regretz
no_regretz Posts: 9
edited August 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hey guys i have been looking at a few bikes recently and would like your opinions of the Rockrider 6.3 at £350 and any alternatives.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-63-id_8103207.html
yes its ugly
1jupw3.jpg

i would love to get the 9.1 but @ £700 maybe next time.
28cklk6.jpg

I will be using the bike mainly for commuting to work and the occasional bike ride on/off road.
The roads near where i live are atrocious so something with a bit of bounce would help (ride like a mad man), i also have RSI in my wrists so don't fancy a hardtail.

Honest opinions please and recommendations around the £350 mark
Loyalty Over Money

Comments

• Im not sure how full suspension will help your wrists? Surely the wrist will be all front suspension?

For a commute that thing will be awfully heavy and rather overkill.
  • Im not sure how full suspension will help your wrists? Surely the wrist will be all front suspension?

For a commute that thing will be awfully heavy and rather overkill.

sorry should have explained this a little better, my current bike is a hardtail and when going over certain dips, pavements and ditches the back end slams down and the shock ripples through me. i have had full suspensions before and they do seems to cushion the blow more.
    Loyalty Over Money
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I wouldn't.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • what would you recommend then?
    Loyalty Over Money
  • cooldad
    At that price the hardtail.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • cooldad
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Good forks on a hard tail is a better answer for your wrists, rather than a heavy full sus bike with poorer forks and other components.
  • What tyres are you using? Might be worth trying a set of high volume tyres if your rims and frame can fit them. Preferably a soft compound. They can make a huge difference to ride comfort.
  • Changing your riding style will perhaps be of most benefit. Since knackering my wrist last summer i suffer pain and numbness in my wrist during rides. After looking around i decided to try some ESI chunky grips, and i have to say they really helped with road and trail vibration. A plush set of forks does wonders too!
  • cooldad wrote:
    the 2012 model is £30 more, pretty much same spec but is there any difference? and what about the 8.0? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80-id_8194500.html
    Changing your riding style will perhaps be of most benefit. Since knackering my wrist last summer i suffer pain and numbness in my wrist during rides. After looking around i decided to try some ESI chunky grips, and i have to say they really helped with road and trail vibration. A plush set of forks does wonders too!
    things seem to be coming to light, i have had very bad knee problems in the past and cycling did wonders, my physio trainer suggested changing my form to build muscle up in different areas and i havent had any complaint for 2 years until recently where the bike i am currently using has done its course and things are creeping on me again hence the new investment.

if this is the same case for my wrists as it is/was for yours then i will definitely be getting a set of those chunky grips and the most suitable bike. How do you get on with calluses, i have bought some gloves with padding but this doesnt seem to work?
    Loyalty Over Money
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I'd get the hardtail. But I'd also consider looking at how your bar controls are set up if you are getting wrist pain from small bumps and landings. Basically you dont want your brake and gear levers to up turned (ie brake levers level with the ground is a bad thing).

Think about from a normal riding position, your arms down to the bars and if you then extend your fingers onward as an extension of your arm that is where you want your brake levers to be and gear levers corresponding.

If you have that set up already, I apologise for patronising but either way the hardtail is your best option for that money.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • no_regretz wrote:
    the 2012 model is £30 more, pretty much same spec but is there any difference? and what about the 8.0? http://www.decathlon.co.uk/rockrider-80-id_8194500.html

Had a 'Crazy Deals week' e-shot from Decathlon yesterday that says the 8.0 will be reduced by £180 this coming Saturday.

Saturday: BTwin Rockrider 8.0 MTB Save £180! (see link)

http://ebm.cheetahmail.com/c/tag/hBQFj8CB7ggYzB8suZhNsgkaU6y/doc.html?t_params=I_STORE_NUMBER%3D5%26FNAME%3DJon%26REMOVEALL%3Drm-2b7emmq0bgv7mkwauvayqdqcgt0cp6m%2540decathlon.chtah.com
  • cooldad
    "Come to the store from Monday with your Loyalty Card - Saturday: BTwin Rockrider 8.0 MTB Save £180!"
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • Went into the bolton store to inquire about the 8.0 and they had none in my size, said to buy it online as there is limited stock (non available to purchase online ha).

Its £180 off the rrp not off the current £360 online/instore price.
    So £459 - £180 = £279 still a bargain and going to see if i can get one today if not settle for the 5.3 at 300 (insert sad face)
    Loyalty Over Money