Thought I was going to be calling for help today..

Fallsalot
Fallsalot Posts: 23
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Managed to get out for a couple of hours on the local trails at harlestone firs today. After half an hour riding through random little sections (i have never managed to remember the same route round this place) I spotted a row of small tabletop type humps which someone has clearly spent some time building (thanks for the effort whoever it was), so decided to have a bash (first time trying to get any air). All went well until the end, carried too much speed over the last one and headed straight for a small drop in...... Ish. Turned out it was a sort of double dip drop, took clean off the first part landing awkwardly on the lip for the second bigger drop.

Somehow managed to ride out of it with no injuries or damage somehow. Will be making sure I do a slow rekie run before following anymore random routes.

onPMDSUe

This photo is taken from the bottom looking up

g4IElp7G

This is taken from the top looking down.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Is it just me?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    cooldad wrote:
    Is it just me?

Huh and where? Me too.

Its a relief though when you survive a off, normally the crotch is abit tender though. I nearly done the same the other day, apart I nearly went head first down forest steps after my feet slipped off my pedals. Managed to top tube it down them unscathed. Apart from the tool :D
  • dubcat
    dubcat Posts: 737
    You were out on a trail alone trying a jump for the first time? May I suggest that this is not a good idea? Someone I know who is an extremely experienced rider was riding alone while waiting for friends to arrive. He did a small jump, caught his groin on his handlebars, and lost a massive amount of blood. Apparently he is a first aider at his work so managed to reduce the flow and get back to civilisation where someone called an ambulance. However, had he been a little more remote he may not have made it. He advises me not to ride alone (let alone do jumps).
    2010 Specialized Rockhopper
    2012 Bianchi Infinito
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    edited July 2012
    Three different tarot card readers ahve told me, my mother, and my sister that I "should always avoid going to the mountains alone" because I "will meet my fate up there one day".
    However, I don't believe in it, and I'm a bit stubborn, so I go regardless to prove them wrong.

However, Dubcat does have a good point, even though it doesn't look like much of a drop, if you're pushing your own boundaries, things can sometimes go wrong, especially when you panic.
  • cooldad
    my sitter
    That's cute - someone to look after you when mommy and daddy go out?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    ha!, no, I meant "sister".
    Fixed it now.
  • Bigchris
    Bigchris Posts: 131
    Dubcat wrote:
    You were out on a trail alone trying a jump for the first time? May I suggest that this is not a good idea? Someone I know who is an extremely experienced rider was riding alone while waiting for friends to arrive. He did a small jump, caught his groin on his handlebars, and lost a massive amount of blood. Apparently he is a first aider at his work so managed to reduce the flow and get back to civilisation where someone called an ambulance. However, had he been a little more remote he may not have made it. He advises me not to ride alone (let alone do jumps).

Scary that!! what did he catch is groin on? I was out today on my own trying to teach myself to jump properly...i thought I risk assessed pretty well. I personally wouldn't trust no one to stop blood flow like that..not a sniff.

Eye opening. Thinks its time to learn about first aid properly to be honest.
  • cooldad
    If it's the one I think it is, on the brake lever.
    But it's a very remote chance, one of those accidents you'd never be able to repeat.

I hit a curb on a motorcycle once, I slid along the pavement, bike along the gutter, with the footpeg embedded in my left shin heading toward the sheet metal side of a towtruck parked on the pavement. As I was wimpering mommy mommy mommy waiting to die. I hit a pole and span around it a few times, while the bike careened on and wrote itself off on the truck. Along with a small chunk of my leg.

Very stylish, but couldn't do it again in a million years.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools