LBS Opening Hours Rant

lockstock666
lockstock666 Posts: 131
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Why do no LBS' in my area open past 5:30?

5:30 is the very latest. Most close their doors at 5. This means that if you have a problem with your bike on a Monday, it is very unlikely you will get it fixed before the weekend!

How many bikes do they sell from 9-5 Monday to Friday? How many customers do they get in the week when everyone who wants a C2W bike is at work? Oh and don't expect anyone to open on Sundays. (with the exception of one)

It is not much of a wonder why people buy bikes from Halfords, they are the only place open.

Maybe I've spotted a gap in the market. 24 hour bike repair... hmmm...

Ok I'm done.

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    This reminds me of the 'first world problems' meme.
    Though I agree, it's irritating. Evans tend to be open til about 7, at least in London.

I'll add to the rants though, Post Offices and Banks. Useless feckers.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    My bank opens on Saturday, it understands me.

Cyclopolis (Balham) does 12hr/11hr days (I think 7am - 7pm or maybe 8am - 7pm). Though I have seen them close the shop earlier recently...
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,217
    One of the LBS near me is open 7 days a week, until 6pm generally and later one day a week but it's not a LBS I like to spend my money in.

I see what you're saying though, It frustrates me when I need a part urgently or something doing in the workshop and they aren't open to take your money.
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Reminds me of the hotel in Spain I used to stay at that closed its restaurant for the holidays...
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • gabriel959
    gabriel959 Posts: 4,227
    Reminds me of the hotel in Spain I used to stay at that closed its restaurant for the holidays...

a restaurant that closes in the summer in Spain? It must be run by brits!!!! :lol::lol::lol:
    x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
    Commuting / Winter rides - Jamis Renegade Expert
    Pootling / Offroad - All-City Macho Man Disc
    Fast rides Cannondale SuperSix Ultegra
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    gabriel959 wrote:

a restaurant that closes in the summer in Spain? It must be run by brits!!!! :lol::lol::lol:

A kid you not - same hotel that I got my hire car vandalised in the secure car park because it had Madrid plates on it (I was staying in Catalonia) and no-one blinked an eyelid....
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    Fix your own bike. It's about as complicated as an ironing board.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • lockstock666
    DesWeller wrote:
    Fix your own bike. It's about as complicated as an ironing board.

I need a spoke.

I would fix it if I could find a shop open to sell me the one, and this is the 4th spoke that has broken in 7 months. The wheel was rebuilt once before under warranty. I need the shop to be open to get the spoke fixed again under warranty.

If my ironing board was broke, I'd go to a 24 hour supermarket and bloody buy one. Or return it under warranty.
  • SimonAH
    SimonAH Posts: 3,730
    Hairdressers are the worst. You could make a mint with one that only opened 5:00 to 22:00 and all weekend.
    FCN 5 belt driven fixie for city bits
    CAADX 105 beastie for bumpy bits
    Litespeed L3 for Strava bits

Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Buy one online.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    I've always wondered this about LBSes. Passing commuter trade would earn them a few bob, wouldn't it?
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    SimonAH wrote:
    Hairdressers are the worst. You could make a mint with one that only opened 5:00 to 22:00 and all weekend.

No, estate agents... If there was ever a market for a place to be open later in the evening then it's estate agents. I mean if you're looking for a place to live and you have a job, what use is an estate agent which only does viewings up to about 6pm?!

When I was looking for my current flat it was an absolute nightmare, I seemed to spend my entire life for several weeks dashing out of work as soon as possible and trying to get down to SE London for viewings before 6.30pm at the absolute latest. I understand that people who are selling property don't necessarily want people tramping through their homes late into the evening but surely estate agents can manage a bit later than 6 or 6.30pm?! Do they actually want to sell property? And then at the weekend many only do viewings on Sat mornings and are closed on Sunday.... I'm not sure if this was a symptom of a busy market back in 2006 and estate agents just didn't need to work very hard to sell...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    gabriel959 wrote:

A kid you not - same hotel that I got my hire car vandalised in the secure car park because it had Madrid plates on it (I was staying in Catalonia) and no-one blinked an eyelid....
    This also happens in Belgium. The owners of a pub or cafe will often just close up for weeks on end and go on holiday. Family holiday with the kids beats running a business.
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    If you cant spare a couple of hours off work to drop off your bike and pick it up then you're working too hard.

A good bike shop should be staffed by bike enthusiasts. A Bike enthusiast should be out riding on a Sunday, not working. Hence a good bike shop should be closed on a Sunday, and poo poo Halfords can be open
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Yukirin wrote:
    If you cant spare a couple of hours off work to drop off your bike and pick it up then you're working too hard.

A good bike shop should be staffed by bike enthusiasts. A Bike enthusiast should be out riding on a Sunday, not working. Hence a good bike shop should be closed on a Sunday, and poo poo Halfords can be open

Really? If I owned an LBS I'd be out riding all week during the day and then open at evenings and weekends...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    SimonAH wrote:

No, estate agents... If there was ever a market for a place to be open later in the evening then it's estate agents. I mean if you're looking for a place to live and you have a job, what use is an estate agent which only does viewings up to about 6pm?!

When I was looking for my current flat it was an absolute nightmare, I seemed to spend my entire life for several weeks dashing out of work as soon as possible and trying to get down to SE London for viewings before 6.30pm at the absolute latest. I understand that people who are selling property don't necessarily want people tramping through their homes late into the evening but surely estate agents can manage a bit later than 6 or 6.30pm?! Do they actually want to sell property? And then at the weekend many only do viewings on Sat mornings and are closed on Sunday.... I'm not sure if this was a symptom of a busy market back in 2006 and estate agents just didn't need to work very hard to sell...

Most of the big agents in London are open till 7 at least. Foxtons are open till 8 every day in the week, for the very reason you mention.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    okgo wrote:
    Most of the big agents in London are open till 7 at least. Foxtons are open till 8 every day in the week, for the very reason you mention.

Foxtons are open late because most of their employees can't abide daylight...
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    They certainly don't get to see much of it with the hours they are made to work, I think they were one of the first to open late, which in turn means a lot of the others open late too.

I suppose a lot of us London lot are lucky as most shops open late on a thursday, so we can get our bike shop stuff done then!
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    They are often closed when club runs set off at the weekends too. If I had a bike shop I would be open early at the weekend to serve last minute purchases....they obviously do well enough as is and don't have to!
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    My LBS is open 7 days a week. It's pretty much the same handful of people I see in there every time, so they must work pretty long hours when you add in all the backroom and management stuff. It's very easy for people to whinge when they only do 9-5 Monday to Friday themselves.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    okgo wrote:
    SimonAH wrote:

None of them would do viewings starting later than about 6.15 when I was looking to buy back in 2006, and that was at a push. Admittedly they weren't chains apart from Kinleigh Folkard Heywood or however you spell that... Goo to hear they have changed. I always though it would make sense for estate agents to run 2 shifts - a small, skeleton crew during the day and then from mid afternoon onwards a larger group to do viewings during the busy time...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • mrc1
    mrc1 Posts: 852
    Yukirin wrote:

Really? If I owned an LBS I'd be out riding all week during the day and then open at evenings and weekends...

This is what the bike shop do in Saint Lary (Pyrenees) in anything other than mid July-end August. They open 5.30pm-7pm most days (in theory they open on Saturdays but this is sporadic at best) and you will pretty much always find their van at the top or bottom of one of the local DH runs.
    http://www.ledomestiquetours.co.uk

Le Domestique Tours - Bespoke cycling experiences with unrivalled supported riding, knowledge and expertise.

Ciocc Extro - FCN 1
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    mrc1 wrote:
    Yukirin wrote:

This is what the bike shop do in Saint Lary (Pyrenees) in anything other than mid July-end August. They open 5.30pm-7pm most days (in theory they open on Saturdays but this is sporadic at best) and you will pretty much always find their van at the top or bottom of one of the local DH runs.

Yep, I'd change my hours. The reality is that you need to compete with the interweb. I can't get to a bike shop until the weekend. Lack of proximity and time.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • lockstock666
    Ok so I took yesterday off to have the wheel fixed.

I was swayed by it being 33°C. It wasn't the end of the world.

We only have one car, maybe we need two for the days when my bike is being repaired. :roll:
  • unscarred
    unscarred Posts: 208
    We only have one car, maybe we need two for the days when my bike is being repaired. :roll:

No, you need another bike! :)
    FCN 6 in the week on the shiny new single speed.

FCN 3 at the weekend - struggling to do it justice!