Muswell Hill <> Victoria (route advice)

lastant
lastant Posts: 526
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Moving up from Clapham Junction to Muswell Hill in a couple of weeks, and was just wondering what route people would advise taking from there down to Victoria as a commute.

Years ago I lived in Archway and worked Ian Soho so was thinking of a modified version of the Northern Line from Highgate down to Euston, into Aldwych, along the Strand, down The Mall and then bear left to Victoria.

Is there a better route? Have a feeling that one will have a lot of traffics lights!
One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)

Comments

• jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Think Will B cycles lots of circles around that area so may be able to assist.

I'd be tempted to head down hornsey rise/rd, camden rd, round regents park and then not sure :)
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Was Ian Soho that guy with the long blonde hair? You know... used to work between the two walk ups, owned a record shop, wore a cap.

[I'll get my coat]
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Ah, saw your planned route. There are lots of lights around Aldwych. If you did head that way might be better going along embankment than the strand. Embankment is fairly quiet heading west in the morning. Aldwych to strand is an interesting clockwise maneuver with several lanes of traffic.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    jds_1981 wrote:
    Aldwych to strand is an interesting clockwise maneuver with several lanes of traffic.

Think you're being kind with the phrase 'interesting'! - I've cycled it more than a few times and would definitely prefer an alternative. I did think the river would be the better way, and also thought of Regents Park as a possibility.

Any more suggestions welcome!

Apologies for typos, hammering out words on an iPad.
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    I head that way daily,

I am a bit terrible (read absolutely) with directions so I tend to stick to the main roads, so I do indeed follow the Northern Line, High Barnet>Whetstone>North/East Finchely> Highgate> Archway>Tufnell Park>Kentish Town>Camden> Euston> then down to Aldwych round onto the strand (the Mall is closed for ages) and then onto Parliament Square and towards Victoria.

I know I could probably go a more Scenic Route - but it works and i don't get lost.

Would assume you would pick up either at Highgate or Archway, so i too am interested in routes with Step by Step instructions for a complete imbecile.

:shock:
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills