Chucking it down the road...

ratherbeintobago
ratherbeintobago Posts: 636
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Looking for some reassurance.

Went out on the road bike for the first time in ages today. Was riding uphill (probably 12ish mph) towards a junction when some prat in a minicab pulled into my path (usual story - tit in another vehicle on my side flashed him to say it was clear, having not seen me); managed to scrub off speed by putting feet down but avoided hitting him by sitting down on the road.

No damage to me except hole in jersey and enormous bruise to arse I'm going to have to come up with creative excuse for if the wife will ever let me out on a bike again; bike appears undamaged bar scuff to saddle/QR skewer and rode ok 10 miles home. Now, given the low-speed nature of the off, and that I think I took most of the hit, how likely is a carbon frame to be damaged by this?

Cheers,

Andy

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,154
    If you've got details of the cab driver's insurance then the bike's a write off :mrgreen:

If there's no scuffs or cracks on the frame, it's probably OK. If you're not sure ask a LBS for a second opinion.
  • Thanks - that's what I thought. I shall phone the LBS and see if they're happy to give it the once over.

Scuffs are on the end of the QR skewer, saddle and pedal. I assume the front tyre and handlebar took some too.

I've got it insured, and Cannondale do a good crash replacement programme, but I didn't get the cab driver's details (stupidly) and I'd rather not replace again (had a previous crash in not dissimilar circs that resulted in a snapped downtube...).

I should have bought a CAAD9.

Andy
  • mikenetic
    mikenetic Posts: 486
    Obviously difficult to say without seeing the bike, more so as it's carbon. However, having said that it sounds like a slide rather than an impact. If there's no cosmetic damage to the frame, there's unlikely to be structural damage at those speeds.

Get it checked over by the LBS, but it's probably OK - carbon has a rep for being a bit delicate (in certain sorts of impact) but it's not bone china!

Good luck.
  • mikenetic wrote:
    Get it checked over by the LBS, but it's probably OK - carbon has a rep for being a bit delicate (in certain sorts of impact) but it's not bone china!

Bike is in the LBS (a large shop in Bury) as we speak. Mechanic was telling me about racing Enduro on his carbon Nomad and how it's been fine, but they'll give mine a good look over.

It was more of a slide than anything else.

Bruises are ever more impressive...

Andy
  • Any chance the crash was covered by a CCTV camera? God knows they're everywhere these days