orange 223

223phil
223phil Posts: 3
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi all

been riding bmx for the last 8 years or so and now ive decided to build up a DH bike. bought a 2nd hand 223 a while back and slowly built it up. now a few of the bits a skimped on have come back to haunt me. the bottom bracket is knakcered.

im currently running a cheap set of sram cranks with a truvative powerspline bottom bracket and a single 33tooth ring that came on it. 9 speed at the back.

so,

after visiting 3 different shops today and im still non the wiser im hoping someone on here can help.

will a set of race face diabolus cranks and raceface X type fit my bike ok?
im currently running no chain device but have seen a gesset one (gusset duplex chain guide ISCG OLD 32-38 tooth)
my frame has no mounts for a chain device so on ebay ive seen E*thirteen ISCG adapter for old ISCG chain guides

will that adapter fit the gusset chain guide or will it only fit E*thirteen stuff?

also will the chainring i currnetly have fit on the raceface cranks, they both have 4 bolts to hold it on?

sorry about the questions but i really know nothing about all these.

cheers, phil

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Race Face cranks and BB will fit, providing they are the correct width. I think a 223 is a 73mm BB so you need the correct cranks (not the 83mm super wide ones)

X Type BBs are shit, shimano ones are better.

Any ISCG old adaptor will work with the Gussett chain device. Getting it to work without the chain rubbing and what not will be more of an issue.

Yes, your chainring will fit the race face cranks. It will be a 104bcd I think (standard)
  • 223phil
    223phil Posts: 3
    ok thanks for your help :>
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would suggest Shimano Deore cranks, they are bombproof & come with bottom bracket for around £60. Shimano bottom brackets are pretty reliable in my experience. You will also need a proper single chain ring, Ethirteen or Truvativ are ok, Renthal last forever but are expensive.
    The Superstar Plasma chain device is excellent and super cheap, I had one & never dropped a chain.