Scrape!

MrTibbs
MrTibbs Posts: 21
edited July 2012 in Workshop
Hello,

Had a new bike delivered about two weeks ago. Recently noticed a scrape on the chainstay, from the disc, which I think was done as it was assembled before it was delivered. It's not huge but I'm doubtful I'll get a replacement. So, what's the best option for covering up a scratch (to the metal) on an alumInium frame? Car paint?

Cheers

Comments

• Yossie
    Yossie Posts: 2,600
    car touch up paint
  • MrTibbs
    Yeah, thought so, do I need to treat the scrape beforehand, like a quick sanding or something?
  • Yossie
    Yup - very light sanding beforehand (something like 240 grade) - just to take off and rough bits, depending on how far down the scratch has gone, apply a bit of primer, let it dry, sand, apply colour, let it dry, sand, apply lacquer, let it dry, sand.

HTH

Y
  • MrTibbs
    Thanks, do car touch up kits include primer and lacquer? And should I de-grease the area before I use the primer, and if so what should I use?
  • Yossie
    Generally they don't, but you can buy small tubes of it at Halfords and the such like:basically they come as a small metal cyclinder with a paintbrush inside (essentially men's nail varnish) - should all be in the same rack together.

Clean the whole area - for degreasing either a degreaser such as jizer/muc off/gunk then washed off and dried or white spirit will also do the job.