olympic RR spectating

Cyclosportives.co.uk
edited July 2012 in Pro race
Can any of you sophisticated London types advise of a good bar or pub with a good telly for watching the Olympic RR, that's right on the route? So we can see them whizz by and then duck back inside to see the finish?

Staying in Central London, so want to avoid a long trek on a massively-packed train/tube if possible.

There is a big screen in Hyde Park, but it would be nice to actually see the riders come by.

Ta muchly.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Can any of you sophisticated London types advise of a good bar or pub with a good telly for watching the Olympic RR, that's right on the route? So we can see them whizz by and then duck back inside to see the finish?

Staying in Central London, so want to avoid a long trek on a massively-packed train/tube if possible.

There is a big screen in Hyde Park, but it would be nice to actually see the riders come by.

Ta muchly.

http://www.thetemperancefulham.co.uk/

Is where I've been pointing everyone. On the corner onto Putney bridge on the correct side of the river.
  • Hi

Trying to work out options for watching Saturday's race. What are your plans?

It's a trade-off between seeing the race, avoiding jammed trains and following it on a screen etc.

- train out to a town on the route and watch on a big screen, catch one pass of the race.

- stay in central London but away from the Mall. Catch them going out and coming back.

- train out to Dorking / Leatherhead and then a long walk to the Box Hill circuit (is that doable?), but won't be watching on Box Hill as no tickets. Any views on this? Trains will be jammed I guess. Upsides are seeing all the nine passes.

We could ride out to any of these from SE London. I also have a motorbike but then there's parking and closures etc.

Cheers
    Paul
  • seems the posts have been merged...

anyone know if there'll be big screens in central London?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Hyde Park.
  • ilovebigwig
    ilovebigwig Posts: 118

Ta muchly.

http://www.thetemperancefulham.co.uk/

Is where I've been pointing everyone. On the corner onto Putney bridge on the correct side of the river.

Ignoring RC's Northern bias Putney is actually making a decent effort:

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/ ... ment_guide

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/putney/events

http://www.wandsworth.gov.uk/downloads/ ... ace/100009
  • orangepip
    orangepip Posts: 219
    I may have missed this elsewhere but does anyone have any timings for the road race? Sadly I'm going to be in the lakes but would like to get to the pub to at least watch some of it
  • Two sheds
    Two sheds Posts: 446
    Timings for the mens' race:

The Mall * 10.00
    Fulham 10.10
    Richmond Park 10.18
    Bushy Park 10.34
    Ripley Village 11.12
    Dorking 11.34
    Box Hill loop 1 * 11.42
    Box Hill loop 9 * 14.50
    Oxshott 14.59
    Esher 15.06
    Hampton Court 15.08
    Richmond Park 15.17
    Fulham 15.31
    The Mall 15.38
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • Two sheds
    Not my spelling error btw!
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    edited July 2012
    Hi

- train out to Dorking / Leatherhead and then a long walk to the Box Hill circuit (is that doable?), but won't be watching on Box Hill as no tickets. Any views on this? Trains will be jammed I guess. Upsides are seeing all the nine passes.

We could ride out to any of these from SE London. I also have a motorbike but then there's parking and closures etc.

Cheers
    Paul
    I would suggest only if you get off the train at Leatherhead that you walk as far as the By-Pass which is on the circuit.
    They will come down from Headley Heath on the B2033 to a roundabout and continue downhill on the Leatherhead By-Pass to the A24 where the last time down they will leave the circuit and turn right for the run to the finish.

Pity they didn't give them 2/3 runs up Pebblecombe Hill from Betchwoth Rail Station on a slightly bigger circuit. :evil: :twisted:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    Two sheds wrote:
    Ripley Village 11.12
    Dorking 11.34

Oxshott 14.59
    Esher 15.06
    I've only got the map and was puzzled by the Guildford bit. ??

Ripley was a surprise.
    So it must be Woking - Send - Ripley, but how do they get to Abinger and the A25 to Dorking.
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • freezing77
    freezing77 Posts: 731
    deejay wrote:
    Two sheds wrote:
    Ripley Village 11.12
    Dorking 11.34

Oxshott 14.59
    Esher 15.06
    I've only got the map and was puzzled by the Guildford bit. ??

Ripley was a surprise.
    So it must be Woking - Send - Ripley, but how do they get to Abinger and the A25 to Dorking.

The route does not go to woking.
    west byfleet Newark lane, ripley, ripley lane, epsom road, up staple lane, down coombe bottom to the a25
  • Two sheds
    I got those estimated times here:
    http://www.london2012.com/mm/Document/D ... eutral.pdf
    Sorry - don't know how to compress links.

They're only a general guide; apparently not just to the timings.
    Put a hump in your back
    Shake your sacroiliac
    And ride on