Creating a route on Garmin Edge 705

kelsen
kelsen Posts: 2,003
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
I don't use my Garmin very often for planning a route. Can somebody please give me some quick and dirty instructions for creating one (via bikeroutetoaster or other) along with options to tick and uploading it to the device?

I've done it before but can't remember the steps, and yes, I'm a lazy sod and can't be bothered searching.

Thanks

Comments

• pitchshifter
    pitchshifter Posts: 1,476
    I've used Garmin Connect to create a route and then send it to the Garmin.

Simples..
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Thanks everyone.
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It is really rather telling that there are huge blog posts on how to make this piece of kit work. From my brief look at the first blog it seems the 800 is actually worse at navigating than the 705. That is some achievement as my 705 is very flaky and I nearly always have some random issue when navigating with it i.e it turning itself off, going off route or telling me to make a u-turn for no reason.

Garmin seem to be taking the p*ss out of cyclists.
  • garryc
    garryc Posts: 203
    Yeah the Garmin manual is rubbish, you really need to be a bit geeky and fiddle around, try lots of experiments and try to work out what it's doing etc.

The U turn thing is normally caused by having the 'recalculate route' option switched on.

Some people seem to have a lot of problems and some don't and I have no idea why (I'm not an expert). Mine's worked perfectly since I bought it nearly 3 years ago.