Bike Mecca

gtvlusso
gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Okay - so, a weekend camping in North Devon, Croyde area.

On the camping side of it; lovely weather, lots of beach and surf time. Junior loved it and the Wilma hound was in her element - camping is hard work though!

Anyway, I was amazed at the amount of staggeringly bling bikes around the area; Everywhere we traveled I spotted £3000 to £5000 bikes out on the road, something I rarely see in Bristol.

It is possible that loads of mad keen cyclists happened to be on holiday the same weekend as me, or that Devonites are massively wealthy and super healthy!

Comments

• DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

Most people outside major cities are. FACT.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,341
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

Eh?

Are you serious?
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Everywhere we traveled I spotted £3000 to £5000 bikes out on the road, something I rarely see in Bristol.

Cider costs a lot, even when you buy it in 2ltr plastic containers - by the pallet load.

Cut down on the pasties, stop calling plod "Heddlooo" and get rid of that fat gimp who runs your country Connery/Connoly/Wallace/Salmon whatever he's called. That way you can save your coins and buy a bike.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

raised-eyebrow.gif
  • DonDaddyD
    DonDaddyD Posts: 12,689
    edited July 2012
    When am i ever (completely serious)? There are a lot more wealthy people living that aren't near major cities in the Southern half of the country. But honestly, it's probably people who would normally go abroad with the nice bike not being able to afford to do so. So they've chose Devon and other UK haunts instead.
    Food Chain number = 4

A true scalp is not only overtaking someone but leaving them stopped at a set of lights. As you, who have clearly beaten the lights, pummels nothing but the open air ahead. ~ 'DondaddyD'. Player of the Unspoken Game
  • rjsterry
    Greg T wrote:
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Everywhere we traveled I spotted £3000 to £5000 bikes out on the road, something I rarely see in Bristol.

Cider costs a lot, even when you buy it in 2ltr plastic containers - by the pallet load.

Cut down on the pasties, stop calling plod "Heddlooo" and get rid of that fat gimp who runs your country Connery/Connoly/Wallace/Salmon whatever he's called. That way you can save your coins and buy a bike.

Townies, eh?

Cuh!
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

Eh?

Are you serious?
    No he's right. 8)
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    North Devon and North Cornwall are traditional toff summer hang-outs.
  • rjsterry
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    When am i ever (completely serious)? There are a lot more wealthy people living that aren't near major cities in the Southern half of the country. But honestly, it's probably people who would normally go abroad with the nice bike not being able to afford to do so. So they've chose Devon and other UK haunts instead.

True. Outside the stockbroker belt of the Home Counties, I think you'll find things drop off a lot in terms of earnings, but with property much cheaper, people may seem wealthier. But specifically talking about the West Country, aside from Bristol/Bath, and the land owners, it's not that wealthy. large parts of the South West benefit from EU grants due to the low wages.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rick_chasey
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:

True. Outside the stockbroker belt of the Home Counties, I think you'll find things drop off a lot in terms of earnings, but with property much cheaper, people may seem wealthier. But specifically talking about the West Country, aside from Bristol/Bath, and the land owners, it's not that wealthy. large parts of the South West benefit from EU grants due to the low wages.

Cornwall has consistently qualified for objective one funding.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    Cornwall has consistently qualified for objective one funding.

If objective two is stopping worshipping the moon and human sacrifice, I can guess why.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • rjsterry
    CiB wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

Eh?

Are you serious?
    No he's right. 8)

True, there's always Oxfordshire for those too posh for the Chilterns/Metroland
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• cyclingprop
    cyclingprop Posts: 2,426
    Objective 1: to promote the development and structural adjustment of regions whose development is lagging behind;
    Objective 2: to support the economic and social conversion of areas experiencing structural difficulties;
    Objective 3: to support the adaptation and modernisation of education, training and employment policies and systems in regions not eligible under Objective 1.
    What do you mean you think 64cm is a big frame?
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    I don't know about North Devon, but Cornwall is not ideal for a cycling holiday - it seems like an endless series of very steep climbs followed by descents that have a handy sharp right or left turn at the bottom, followed by another steep climb. No 'rolling'.
  • rick_chasey
    Sewinman wrote:
    I don't know about North Devon, but Cornwall is not ideal for a cycling holiday - it seems like an endless series of very steep climbs followed by descents that have a handy sharp right or left turn at the bottom, followed by another steep climb. No 'rolling'.

Cycling round cornwall got me into this whole cycling for fun malarky.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Okay - so, a weekend camping in North Devon, Croyde area.

i smashed into a window in croyde bay causing me to have 40 odd stiches in my neck years ago

/useless information
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

I don't think that's true... A large proportion of London's population is very health and fitness aware, it's mainly the wealthier parts of the city with obese unhealthy people largely in poorer boroughs but London definitely has a high population of very fit people. I read somewhere that because it's difficult to drive into cetral London (expensive, trafiic etc) many Londoners are simply fitter than average simply because they walk around the city, to and from bus stops and train stations etc...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    DonDaddyD wrote:
    Wealthy/Super wealthy.

I don't think that's true... A large proportion of London's population is very health and fitness aware, it's mainly the wealthier parts of the city with obese unhealthy people largely in poorer boroughs but London definitely has a high population of very fit people. I read somewhere that because it's difficult to drive into cetral London (expensive, trafiic etc) many Londoners are simply fitter than average simply because they walk around the city, to and from bus stops and train stations etc...

That's certainly true for me. I have to admit to being a lardy 14 stone when I moved to London - combination of no exercise, bereavement etc blah blah. Once I figured out that walking from Aldwych to Holloway (work to home) was only an hour, I lost 4.5 stone - it literally fell off. Put a bit back on since I moved back to Manchester (it's the pies...) but it's easier to cycle commute here so it's coming off again.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • rick_chasey
    msmancunia wrote:

have to admit to being a lardy 14 stone when I moved to London - combination of no exercise, bereavement etc blah blah. Once I figured out that walking from Aldwych to Holloway (work to home) was only an hour, I lost 4.5 stone - it literally fell off. .

Must have been dicey for the peds walking behind you.
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    A visit to God's country - beautiful countryside with some inclines not to far away and it was sunny !! Croyde is one of those spots in our neck of the woods that is priced according to need - mainly people moving from london with the inflated house prices there to a seaside pad. What alot forget is that after sept the village is mainly empty bar pubs and a post office with poor public transport.
    It is a bit like ROCK in N CORNWALL where similar prices occur.
    The rest of N devon is generally more realistically priced but over 10 times the average wage does make it hard for people to purchase locally.
    Bike wise we have some great LBS and they sell some quality steed's.
    Glad you enjoyed it here , the cycling bug is here as well but riding the area all year round I would guess some of the more expensive bikes were visitors but there are some top bikes in the area.
    Enjoy our inclines !!!!!
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:

have to admit to being a lardy 14 stone when I moved to London - combination of no exercise, bereavement etc blah blah. Once I figured out that walking from Aldwych to Holloway (work to home) was only an hour, I lost 4.5 stone - it literally fell off. .

:D
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia wrote:

:D