Lake Como, Italy

paul_rogers6
paul_rogers6 Posts: 4
edited August 2012 in Holidays
I'm off on holiday to Lake Como (Italy) in October and was hoping to get a day's riding in.

Anyone been? Know of any maps, gpx's, guides etc? Any recommendations?

Cheers

P

Comments

• homers_double
    homers_double Posts: 8,027
    Where exactly are you staying? We've got a house in menaggio and there are endless posibilities for virgin tracks. Just head out into the hills and have fun.

There is also a funicular near Argeno, 5 or so euro for a ride up and its about 2.5 hours walking time down, that'd be good to explore.

You're not far from Madesimo but I doubt there will be any lifts open for bikes at that time of year.

Are you renting a bike? You'll find them fairly sub standard as the shops rent basic stuff for holiday types rather than "proper" mountain bikes. As much as it shames me to say it, hire a road bike and try and complete one half lap of the lake. and get the ferry back to your base. If you tell me where you're staying the I'll let you know the best route to incorporate a return ferry where you'll be able to travel as a foot passanger.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Hi

Thanks for the reply.

We're staying in Menaggio this time. It's a family holiday so I've only got a day's riding. Was hoping to do some off roading rather than on roading.

I found some decent looking routes on http://www.gps-tour.info.

I had planned to hire a bike - so I'm a bit worried with your comment. Do you think they'd mind if I bought the bike back trashed? Bikes probably so heavy it's not much use for off road use any way :cry:

Any info you can help with'd be great. P'raps I'll have to take the bike with me. Or do as you suggest and do a bit of road riding.

Thanks again for the great info.

Regards

P
  • homers_double
    No problem Paul, whereabouts are you staying? Bear in mind the access from the village to the trails is a fair climb up a lot of hairpins, there is a path which cuts across the road which is relatively easy to find (and would make an excellent urban downhill) once you know where to start. It does go STRAIGHT up though.

To be honest if it was me and having been there loads I'd hirre a road bike and take in the lake, the tracks are nothing more than bridleways through the forest and although there are loads of sweet singletrack sections we only ever find them when we take the kids out to explore.

From menaggio the best route would be to head to the north tip of the lake, turn right across the river that feeds the lake, turn right again and follow signs for Varena. It'll cost you a few euro's to get a straight ferry back to Menaggio from there.

As a foodie tip, take the ferry from Menaggio over to Belaggio, the village on the point in the centre of the lake and go roith towards the Melze gardens, pay and walk through them and keep goinging through a little fishing port at the end and walk up about 100 or so steps to Albergo Ristorante Silvio, try the fish lasagne. Absolutly awesome.

October is a really nice time of year, sometimes hot but not unbearable.

Any other info you need just ask.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Hi

Many thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay in responding (I've been trying to find out where the apartment is).

The apartment we are staying in is right on the waterfront near the Hotel Du Lac. Seems like it's about as far away from the hills/mountains as is possible :D .

I'm beginning to think I might give it a miss (not a big road rider these days :) )

Thanks again for the advice. If I do anything I'll let you know how I get on.

All the best

Paul
  • homers_double
    You've picked a nice spot, I've been there this past week. Managed one ride out from the house on my dads bike for a few miles, had my B-inlaw with me so didn't get too far.
    Advocate of disc brakes.