Marin Wolf Ridge 6.9

darrenduds20
darrenduds20 Posts: 20
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Hi i am going to collect a 2010 marin wolfridge 6.9 and have a couple of question
It is in excellant condition is it worth £850
when i am going to collect it is there anything i should be looking for ?

New to this so please bare with me :D

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    First off make sure it fits! If it doesn't feel right, avoid.

If it does, check the frame for cracks, and check the pivots for play - ll should be smooth. The brakes should operate evenly, the wheels spin with no play (and the cranks).

£850 is a fair price, but it is a lot of bike, quite heavy - is it suitable for what you plan to ride?
  • Well i will be riding a bit of everyhting really so thought it was a good all round bike , is the £850 a bargain or could i easily pick on up for that , it is mint condition been road about 5 times looks like new , thanks for your help
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Nice bike. If everything is fine you won't do much better for that sort of money.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    Fantastic bike, seems to excel at everything.
    One other thing worth checking over would be the state of the rear dropouts - they bolt onto the swingarm with big chainring bolts, and some people have reported a manufacturing tolerance issue with certain year models (although I'm not sure which).
    if you can, take it for a quick blast, and REALLY put some power down through the pedals, or alternatively, try to "bend" the bike from the back wheel, trying to put as much torque as possible through the dropouts.
    if you hear a creaking/cracking sound, then you may have to get in touch with ATB sales.
    Those who have had problems have been given new swingarms and dropouts.
  • Do you think its a bargain or just ok otherwise i may wait
  • cooldad
    Wait for what?
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • wait till funds are not as tight , and if it isnt a bargain i may be able to get one cheaper if i wait as i am in no rush
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Do you think its a bargain or just ok otherwise i may wait
    Definitely a bargain. You're looking at a bike that was going for well over £2K when it was new, and are a proper do-it-all bike.
    I'm using mine for everything from commuting, to getting up real, proper mountains (yes, real ones, not trail centre climbs), enduro racing, a bit of XC, freeride and DH.
    I fu**ing love it.
  • cooldad
    Mcgee speaks the truth in this case. I tried one back to back with a Spesh Enduro. The Enduro was awesome at plugging over anything and felt like a landrover.
    The Marin felt like a rally car by comparison.
    For comparison I normally ride a short travel XC Kona full sus. I wouldn't trade it for the Enduro (although my son has one and rides it like a crazy person) but I would consider the Marin any day.
    Pretty much a perfect all rounder. Plus Marin make seriously tough bikes, with seriously good warranty
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • THANKS FOR YOUR HELP LADS
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Since you're uncertain, let me prove my point...
    Marin Trail (trailcentre)...
    MarinTrail.jpg

Cwm Pennant loop (natural, very boggy terrain, with a huge climb)
    CwmPenant.jpg

Ascending the Cnicht near Croesor...
    cnicht.jpg

At the summit of Elidir Fach (over 2,600 feet), looking towards Snowdon
    5673337945_2783a00a6a.jpg

Glentress Freeride park
    Glentress.jpg

About to check out the new DH tracks at Blaenau Ffestiniog.
    AnturStiniog.jpg

The astounding thing is that it doesn't just "manage" all aspects of mountain biking - it actually does an remarkably competent job of all of them.
  • cooldad
    Spot the yeti
    Ascending the Cnicht near Croesor...
    cnicht.jpg

Nice pic. Real mountains.
    At the summit of Elidir Fach (over 2,600 feet), looking towards Snowdon
    5673337945_2783a00a6a.jpg
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    cooldad wrote:
    Spot the yeti
    That's a sheep you old fool :lol:
  • Hi mate is yours the wolfridge 6.9 or the attachk trail 6.9 ? And am loving the pics it does look good at it all
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Mine was the wolf ridge 6.7 - same frame as the 6.9, but lower spec components. I bought it because it had GREEN brake callipers. Unfortunately, they were Juicy 3s, and were crap, so I replaced the front brake with a Shimano XTm785. I'm yet to part with the rear brake because, well, it's green!
    I also planned to stick a 160mm fork on the bike, so it has a Fox 36 Float RC2 fitted, whilst the Pike 409 that came with it has gone on to my old, spare, bike.
    It is daft, I knew I was going to replace the lower spec components (also had a Shimano Saint chainset ready for it), and I bought it because of the GREEN brakes, when the GREEN brakes were by far the crappest components on there :lol:
    So, I guess I may be a bike tart after all!
  • Lol just like me love to modify everything lol , is there much of a difference between the 6.7 and the 6.9
  • YeehaaMcgee
    The frame is identical, and the spec on them can be found here...
    (I think this is the only year (2009/2010) that had the Wolf ridges classed according to the 6.x numbers)
    http://marin.co.uk/2009/details.php?ModNo=3936-1F
  • cooldad
    cooldad wrote:
    Spot the yeti
    That's a sheep you old fool :lol:
    I know what a sheep is, although not as imtimately as you. I meant the yeti coming the other way down the trail.
    Obviously you are not very observant.
    You could send the pic to one of Bigchris's websites (conspiracy theorists all believe in yetis and anal probing aliens) and become famous.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    No no no, THIS is a Yeti
    yeti2.jpg

You're either looking at some sheeps, or a trucker.
  • cooldad
    Maybe a yeti walking. They are magic and have the power of invisiblity which is why you can't see it, and proves beyond any doubt it's a yeti.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • EH_Rob
    EH_Rob Posts: 1,134
    If you don't end up getting the bike let me know where it is and I'll have it.
  • EH_Rob
    Thread hijack - I've seen one of these on pinkbike; sounds as if it needs a little bit of love though.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1142963/

What do you reckon? I think as long as its been looked after, has had a recent shock service, and isn't in bad shape in general it might be worth a bit more investigation.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    EH_Rob wrote:
    Thread hijack - I've seen one of these on pinkbike; sounds as if it needs a little bit of love though.

http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1142963/

What do you reckon? I think as long as its been looked after, has had a recent shock service, and isn't in bad shape in general it might be worth a bit more investigation.
    Definitely worth checking out. The rims are original, and are surprisingly tough, much more so than I had ever expected. No idea why he's swapped the rear brake, but not the front.
    If the shock needs a service (it's second hand, may well do), you're looking at roughly £100 from TFTuned, or slightly cheaper from Loco.
    I'd usually hesitate to spend that much on a second hand bike that's about 3 years old, but I really, really like mine - I can vouch for it being much better than a £650 bike, even after it's hard a hard life.
  • EH_Rob
    What's the sizing like on these things? I'm about 5 foot 8, the bike is an M. Any thoughts?
  • cooldad
    EH_Rob wrote:
    What's the sizing like on these things? I'm about 5 foot 8, the bike is an M. Any thoughts?
    No use asking yeehaa, he's a dwarf. His bike looks normal in the pics but is actually carved out of a grain of rice.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm 5'10" (Despite CD's insane drivel), and a Medium does me fine. The standover height remains the same for all sizes, only the top tube length varies slightly.
    Medium should be fine for 5'8".
  • EH_Rob
    Cheers. Think I may go for this. Agreed (in principle) a price lower than asking, so as long as I find nothing wrong with it when I go to view I may find this hard to say no to.
  • Well I am heading over to liverpool area tomorrow to buy it hopefully it's all ok
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I hope you find a good one - I swear you'll love it.
  • Me too mate i will just check every single thing I know how too I will put up some pics of it tomorrow