Bottom Brackets?

jgilliesh
jgilliesh Posts: 2
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all, I find myself in need of some advice on bottom brackets as I'm as confused as hell. I have a Giant TCR Advanced 3 which I bought new last year and I've since clocked up just under 4k miles on. Over the past 1k miles or so it developed a really annoying "clicking" noise that was eventually found to be the bottom bracket. I took it to my LBS who stripped it down and greased it up which seemed to cure it nicely for about 300 miles then it started clicking again, only worse with the added bonus of having black gunge leak out over my frame during a ride. My guess is that I will probably need to replace the BB now and sooner rather than later as the noise is driving me nuts and spoils my otherwise great rides.

I must confess that I know little about the mechanical side of things and research on the web has only left me more confused as to what BBs are compatible with my bike. It has a full 105 groupset and the spec says that it has a press fit dura ace BB but doesn't say what size and I can't seem to find a suitable replacement online with that info. As far as I can tell there are BB30s, BB86s and BB90s that are available as press fit but BB30s don't seem to be compatible with Shimano cranks without some kind of adapter but they also seem to be the best too. Has anyone got any great advice for me so I can avoid any potential expensive mistakes? Thanks in advance guys (and gals). :D

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a read of the info on Parktools.

You will NOT have a BB30. The 86 and 90 refers to a width. All is explained on Parktools.

Link below.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown