GoPro Hero 2 Water Accident Repair

scottellis88
scottellis88 Posts: 42
edited February 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi

Was on a ride in the Peak District last wednesday and had an accident with my camelbak hose and it resulted in spraying water onto and into the GoPro casing flooding my camera... at the minute it does nothing, i left it drying it out for a few days and the only time i see life is if i plug it into the mains for charging and i get a strong red light but nothing else.
Note: it was fresh clean water, not mixed with anything so i would of thought once dried it may be ok. OBV NOT :(:(:(:(

Does anyone know of any places i can send it for repair... ive only had it about a month and i really dont want to have to buy another soon soon.

Thanks
Goodnight and Godbless
Scott
Norco Saint 2 SE
http://flic.kr/p/cv5koo
Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work

Comments

• lesz42
    lesz42 Posts: 690
    Giant Trance X0 (08) Reverb, Hope Hoops 5.1D, XT brakes, RQ BC, Works Components headset 1.5
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Get a load of silica gel packets and put it in a plastic bag with them, leave a few days and try again.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Get a load of silica gel packets and put it in a plastic bag with them, leave a few days and try again.
    ^^What he says.
    It can take an age to dry out, but there's a good chance there's no permanent damage, since the voltages inside the camera will be very low.
    If you haven't got any silica gel packets, stick it in some dry rice, and stick it in an airing cupboard, or near (but not on) a radiator.
    It can take a while.
  • cooldad
    And afterwards you can make a curry. With the rice, not the silica.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    id be shocked if it still works after drying out. im no expert but iv never had success with phones getting wet and giving them time to dry. usually the water ruins something or shorts it i would think.
    Boardman comp 2012
  • cooldad
    Depends. Water doesn't actually cause any damage if it's clean. Powering up whilst wet causes shorts.
    Let it dry properly and you'd be suprised.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • One 80
    One 80 Posts: 62
    cooldad wrote:
    Depends. Water doesn't actually cause any damage if it's clean. Powering up whilst wet causes shorts.

hope it works for you then because it probably cost a lot of cash
    Boardman comp 2012
  • cooldad
    One 80 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

hope it works for you then because it probably cost a lot of cash
    What works for me? It's not my camera. But what I'm suggesting isn't going to cause any damage.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • I've heard that rice in a bag is good as well, but make sure you haven't tried to power it up. Also if you can (providing it's not built in) you should replace the battery. There is also a pouch you can buy that I saw tested on the Gadget Show? T3.com? not sure, but I seem to remember it worked well. They're only £15 so worth a try maybe.

Save a phone rescue kit.

Good luck mate. _Dan.
  • Chris`I
    Chris`I Posts: 206
    There is also a pouch you can buy that I saw tested on the Gadget Show? T3.com? not sure, but I seem to remember it worked well. They're only £15 so worth a try maybe.

Save a phone rescue kit.

Good luck mate. _Dan.
    Basically a pouch with Silica sachets in it. Might as well save £13 and do it yourself. Only benefit of the kit is that it has a nifty "dry indicator" so you know when you can take it out. But also as explained above, if you've turned it on before its completely dry they you may get a short and nuke it. Hopefully when the OP plugged it in, it didnt kill it.

The No 1 thing with water damage is to kill power to it ASAP and leave it to dry for a good few days in an airing cupboard with either Silica or rice in a sealed container.
    2010 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp
    2010 Specialized Tricross Sport (commuter)
    2012 Boardman Road Team
  • it was actually switched on when this happened. i didnt switch it off for a while as i didnt think it got inside the case. i left it drying out for so long but still no good and batt tests fine. got in touch with gopro they told me it costs more to repair than to buy a new one, also they said the warrenty wont cover for water damage as i imagined. but they did say if i send it in they will give me 50% off a new one. but still thats 50% for 249.99 not including tax and postage to and from america :(
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

Falling off my bike isnt due to the fact i cant ride, its all because i found ways that dont work
  • cooldad
    Have you tried anything apart from just leaving it, otherwise I'd expect it to take a lot longer to dry properly.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    cooldad wrote:
    Have you tried anything apart from just leaving it, otherwise I'd expect it to take a lot longer to dry properly.
    ^^This. It can take about a month.
  • cooldad
    While stuff corrodes inside.
    I don't do smileys.

Parktools
  • no, i may just leave it in the airing cupboard a bit longer. maybe my luck might change
    Norco Saint 2 SE
    Trek 9.8 Carbon (sold)

• damianboon
    damianboon Posts: 1
    If any one is interested these guys do GoPro repairs at affordable prices :)

http://www.repairsuk.co.uk/gopro/
  • I just fixed a water damaged gopro hero2 by disassambling it, dipping to distilled water, then to isopropanol, then to 12% acetic acid and letting dry overnight in the oven at 30-40oC with air. I am so excited it worked again thanx for the info everyone!
  • You waited two years to return to this thread to post a different link?
    Current fleet
    2015 Transition Scout
    2012 Nukeproof Scalp
    2016 Genesis Latitude
    2012 Transition Double
    2012 Transition Trail or Park

2006 Trek SL1000
    2017 Fly Proton
    ???? Create Polo Bike
  • Halfway through a reply until I seen the date DUH.