Carbon fibre frame and potholes

shutt015
shutt015 Posts: 19
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all

I just had the first ride on my cube agree gtc carbon tonight whichni really loved - my first road bike - big do litlle I hit a pot hole, not sure what size but I was going pretty quick, I heard no crack noises but I did it was enough to make me check the bike when I got back - I have noticed line / mould marks in the black parts on the bike, there is a mould line round the bottom part of the frame, is this normal with carbon ?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Your bike will be fine. You'd puncture your tyres or bend your wheels before the frame breaks.
  • rpd_steve
    rpd_steve Posts: 361
    +1 No way it would even touch the frame unless the wheels are now buggered, and even then if you stayed on the bike its 99.999999999999999999% fine
  • shutt015
    shutt015 Posts: 19
    Thanks all.

Maybe as I have only had the bike three days ime a little protective - I should just enjoy I think.

Thanks again.

Chris
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    I'd start looking where I was riding if I were you.
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    it will be fine............just avoid going out in the rain on it.
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • mattcroad
    mattcroad Posts: 189
    if you post it to me I will check it for you (54-56cm preferred) :lol:
    There is a rule for that
    FCN 4 2009 Trek 1.5
    FCN 11 2007 Apollo XC.26s
  • Why do people say don't ride a carbon bike in the rain?
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    Why do people say don't ride a carbon bike in the rain?

The rain can attack the fibres, then when you ride it in the sun the water then evaporates which causes a lot of harm to carbon, it's why they say don't put your carbon bike near a high heat source i.e a radiator.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:

The rain can attack the fibres, then when you ride it in the sun the water then evaporates which causes a lot of harm to carbon, it's why they say don't put your carbon bike near a high heat source i.e a radiator.

Surly the fibres are sealed?

I work with carbon fibre high reach poles, including High modulus carbon fibre. These are water fed poles up to 80ft for high level window cleaning & constantly get wet/dry out on a daily basis for years without issue. The only issue is friction wear as they are telescopic, which will eventually wear it out. We are now also using carbon goosnecks, also without issue of water ingress.
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,920
    rozzer32 wrote:

I work with carbon fibre high reach poles, including High modulus carbon fibre. These are water fed poles up to 80ft for high level window cleaning & constantly get wet/dry out on a daily basis for years without issue. The only issue is friction wear as they are telescopic, which will eventually wear it out. We are now also using carbon goosnecks, also without issue of water ingress.

Yes but I presume these will have been treated for the environment they will be used it. If bicycle manufactures treated the carbon then it would push the price of the bike up.

It's the reason pro teams have so many spare bikes and frames. If they have to race in the wet then the frame goes back to the manufacture. I remember once I got caught out in a down pour and when I phoned about a replacement frame the guy on the end of the phone told me it was my fault etc and it meant my frame was useless. Never forget the guys name, Karl Hickbread, he was a to$$er.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rozzer32 wrote:
    rozzer32 wrote:

Yes but I presume these will have been treated for the environment they will be used it. If bicycle manufactures treated the carbon then it would push the price of the bike up.

It's the reason pro teams have so many spare bikes and frames. If they have to race in the wet then the frame goes back to the manufacture. I remember once I got caught out in a down pour and when I phoned about a replacement frame the guy on the end of the phone told me it was my fault etc and it meant my frame was useless. Never forget the guys name, Karl Hickbread, he was a to$$er.

Well, I'm a newbie to cycling but have to say, if this is true I'm shocked!!!! :shock: :shock:

Am I being wound up? :? :D
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • I went through a puddle yesterday on my carbon bike, it cracked it half. :shock:

Also dont use a carbon bike if it reaches over 25© it can start to melt.
  • ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG, I've been had!!! :lol::lol:
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • markos1963
    markos1963 Posts: 3,724
    Of course the thing about riding carbon in the rain is a myth! What is true is that you mustn't store a carbon bike in a shed or anywhere else spiders can get to it. The chemicals in their webs attack the resin in the carbon and can cause catastrophic failures, especially at speeds over 30 mph going down hill.
  • You should be ashamed, taking advantage of my newbie status & low post count! 8)
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    you also shouldnt ride a carbon frame under power lines- the electromagnetic fields they generate can weaken the carbon=carbon bonds in the carbon molecules reducing structural integrity
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    A carbon bike should also not be ridden on the third monday of a month if it coincides with a full moon. The ancient pagans believed at this time carbon fibre is critically weakened due to enhanced solar radiation created by sunlight reflecting off the moon during this period.
  • Are they OK on train lines, the tyres are still rubber after all?
    B'TWIN Triban 5A
    Ridgeback MX6
  • NITR8s
    NITR8s Posts: 688
    You also shouldnt listen to your MP3 player while riding your carbon bike as the magnetisim from the headphones will magnetise the frame and cause your bike to become a giant magnet.(attracting Giant bikes only obviously) This is why sportives normally have a rule that you cant listen to headphones in the event, as it wouldnt be fair on people who ride giants..