Got a bee in my bonnet!

Initialised
Initialised Posts: 3,047
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Literally, was heading back after a ~25 mile detour on the way home. I see this thing fly at me, hit be between visor and helmet. Then I felt something crawling I flicked out what ever it was and my head started burning. I stopped to make sure it was gone and the burning got worse, at least it let me forget about my thighs for the last mile.

I seem to remember some kind of award for the first bee/wasp in the face of the year. Did I win?
I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.

Comments

• woodnut
    woodnut Posts: 562
    Only if your face swells up so you look like John Merrick and you post pics.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Had a bee trapped in the conservatory earlier on, going mental trying to get out. It was a flying tennis ball; huge round thing with wings, and making a lot of noise. If that got in my helmet it'd be a face first dive into the nearest waterway I reckon. Good job I don't wear one. Helmet, not bee. :wink:
  • estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    i once snorted a greenfly

worst thing that has ever happened to me

wretched till the cows came home...
  • Same thing happened to me a 10 or so days ago...descending at 70kmph off the col de la Madeleine in the Etape! Bloody painful!!
  • Initialised
    woodnut wrote:
    Only if your face swells up so you look like John Merrick and you post pics.

Not allergic so that wont happen. Not much to see since I rubbed some anaesthetic cream on it.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    A bumble bee flew into my mouth a few years ago, while out on my bike. I managed to spit it out before it stung me though.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • kelsen
    kelsen Posts: 2,003
    Agent57 wrote:
    A bumble bee flew into my mouth a few years ago, while out on my bike. I managed to spit it out before it stung me though.
    Well, not much of a story then, is it? :D
  • lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    I seem to remember some kind of award for the first bee/wasp in the face of the year. Did I win?

Nope, Jens Voigt beat you to it: http://velo.antistyles.com/2012/05/jens-voigt-in-drei-tweets/.
  • Initialised
    lc1981 wrote:

Nope, Jens Voigt beat you to it: http://velo.antistyles.com/2012/05/jens-voigt-in-drei-tweets/.

I think I ate a few flys, glad the bee didn't land on my tongue!
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    kelsen wrote:
    Agent57 wrote:
    Well, not much of a story then, is it? :D

;) It was almost a story. I felt it start to sting, and my tongue was ever so slightly numb. It was a narrow escape, I tell you!
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Had a wasp get into my crash helmet during a kart race at the weekend Doesn't do your concentration much good....
  • Initialised
    Peat wrote:
    Had a wasp get into my crash helmet during a kart race at the weekend Doesn't do your concentration much good....

That would make me spin out or crash. Evil little barstewards.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,357
    A friend got a fly in his eye whilst riding a motorbike, had his visor up to clear his head (hungover). Hooked it out with his finger, looked up to see the car in front had stopped to turn right. Full on emergency stop, his nose over the front wheel, stopped it with inches to spare. Was just thinking "thank fark for that" when he fell over because with all the panic he'd forgotten to put his foot down.
    I didn't laugh, well not much.