Bald tyres

Dirk1978
Dirk1978 Posts: 148
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Basic question, how can you tell if my tyres need replacing?

Comments

• essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I can't from here :!:

How do mine look................
  • Lycra Man
    Lycra Man Posts: 141
    When you can see the canvas, or there are too many slits and cuts to risk a long walk home.

Lycra Man
    FCN7 - 1 for SPDs = FCN6
  • Dirk1978
    Dirk1978 Posts: 148
    Thanks for the replies. I still have most of the treads on them, just the top edge feels a little smooth. Sounds like I should be ok for the time being!!

Will wait for a good sale to get some back-ups.
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    Lycra Man wrote:
    When you can see the canvas, or there are too many slits and cuts to risk a long walk home.

Lycra Man

This.

It's not subtle. Some people fill superficial wounds with superglue (never done this myself), but any big cuts are cause for concern. If the tyres are bald to the point that you are slipping around, you'll probably want to replace them too.

Everyone has a different point at which they change their consumables. For some it's essential to change at the first sign of performance diminution. Others will leave their tyres on until they are dangerously lacerated, bald beyond grip on dry or wet, or constantly puncturing.

It's really up to you; safety is the most important consideration. I like to make the most of what I have to throw away as I'm an ecomentalist, but that's another issue. :lol:
  • My tyres were bald when I bought them, and they grip just fine. For many road tyres, the grip comes from the rubber, and the pattern serves either to clear water or does nothing at all (like a Formula 1 car - their gripiest tyres are slicks after all).

Once that rubber has worn down to (or nearly to) the threads, then they get changed.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • chilling
    chilling Posts: 267
    The treads are just for show to make you think it's going to clear water and be grippier in the wet. On the road you'r better off with slicks as they will have a marginally bigger contact patch.

You have to be going something like 100mph to auquaplane a cycle tyre.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_ho-z.html#hydroplaning
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Others will leave their tyres on until they are ......... or constantly puncturing.

This has nothing to do with wear - just absence of tyre maintenance. Tyres don't increase significantly in their puncture rate with age. If you maintain them you should have the same puncture rate as when they were new (which should be near enough zero).
    Faster than a tent.......
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited August 2012
    Rolf F wrote:
    Others will leave their tyres on until they are ......... or constantly puncturing.

This has nothing to do with wear - just absence of tyre maintenance. Tyres don't increase significantly in their puncture rate with age. If you maintain them you should have the same puncture rate as when they were new (which should be near enough zero).

Well if the tyres are worn significantly the rubber is thinner and more chance for fine grit etc. to work in.

AFClick.asp?affiliateID=283743&merchantID=4100&programmeID=10236&mediaID=0&tracking=BikeRadar&url=
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    cadseen wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Well if the tyres are worn significantly the rubber is thinner and more chance for fine grit etc. to work in.

This is why I said 'significantly'. But it isn't the rubber that stops the punctures - its the kevlar or whatever belt. And if you maintain the tyres as I said (which involves periodically checking that there is nothing sharp in the slits) then there is no reason to expect a thinner tyre to actually puncture noticeably more. Most people don't do this and assume that the problem is wear on the tyre rather than their own laziness! Nothing is really maintenance free.

And your pics didn't work for me!
    Faster than a tent.......