Buying a road bike.

RandG
RandG Posts: 779
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
hello all...

Having huffed and puffed for weeks on weather to buy a new mtb or a road bike, I finally went for a new mtb, a FS Boardman team, and very happy I am with it to, however, I now also want a road bike. Three weeks of solid watching of the TdF and the outcome has inspired me to get back on the road.

The question is, what bike ?

I'm not looking to spends 2/3 grand on a bike but can stretch to 1200/1500 mark.

So would anyone like to recommend some bikes that might be worth the buying.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• IMO - if you want an upright confortable postion then Specialized Sectuer if you want a more stretched out racier position Specialized Allez - but but but - get a decent test ride on all your options before choosing.
  • RandG
    estampida wrote:

Not much help, but thanks for the link anyway.

Is the Boardman Carbon worth having a look at ??
  • simon_masterson
    simon_masterson Posts: 2,740
    It really depends on what you want.

I personally am a fan of steel bikes. I buy things to last, primarily, and make them work. My favourite bike was bought by my dad when he was my age. My next bike I intend to build myself, and will likely be in 531. I'd love to own a carbon bike, but it would need to be one that I had some confidence in to not be a disposable purchase.

Anyway, if I were to spend that money on a bike I'd probably go for a made-to-measure Mercian frame in 631 with a decent set of wheels and a mid-level groupset. Rock solid and dependable, will probably outlast you if kept properly, and will make a great all-year-round trainer and/or commuter.

However, if it's 'bang-for-your-buck' that you want and you intend to trade up anyway, you probably want a Boardman or something like that. Look at Wiggle, Ribble (who have their own branded frames) and others and get the best you can find for the money.

The advantage of buying a complete bike is that (if you buy it in person) you can get fitted (modern bike fittings are often very good), and you can get branded parts (eg. groupsets, wheels) for less than if you decided to buy the parts separately later on.
  • RandG
    Deffo bang for my buck, as for trading up, probably not. Looking to get a bike I can happily keep for a number of years, hence why I want a decent spec bike, and why I mention the Boardman ???