I'm feeling very sorry for Froome.

OffTheBackAdam
OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
edited July 2012 in Pro race
The only British rider to have ever finished second in the Tour & he gets virtually no mention in the papers at all!
Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.

Comments

• pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,103
    Rumour has it that he will jump ship and go to Astana.!
    Then what?
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    Aren't Schleck(s) off to Astana?
  • Turfle
    Turfle Posts: 3,762
    Everyone is off to Astana. Nibali, Schleck, Froome; that's quite a top 3 they're going to have.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    nathancom wrote:

No. They are forming their own team. Or they were the last time I heard.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    The only British rider to have ever finished second in the Tour & he gets virtually no mention in the papers at all!

He's not British :P
  • nickwill
    nickwill Posts: 2,735
    I'd lose all respect for any rider that went to Astana. Arguably the most suspect team in the peleton.
  • nathancom
    nathancom Posts: 1,567
    nathancom wrote:

No. They are forming their own team. Or they were the last time I heard.
    This was reported the other day but probably bs

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/schleck ... oming-year
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    I'm feeling sorry for Richie Porte... look how tired he is!

AygX_GqCMAAOOQa.jpg
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    I'm not sorry for Froome.

When he rides the Vuelta this year as SKY team leader he could have a good chance to win it. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • nic_77
    nic_77 Posts: 929

He's not British :P
    OK... I know that was friendly trolling but here's the thing... Part of Dave Brailsford's master plan was not only to win the tour but also promote cycling in Britain.

Let's assume Wiggins and Froome are on a pretty similar level - different strengths and weakness, but similar overall. I suspect that Froome could have beaten Wiggins in the mountains, but would likely as not have beaten himself somewhere else in the race had he been leader... either way I think either would have won this tour this year (at the end of the day they were first and second, so the result kind of proves that point).

My theory is that DB has backed Wiggins as the leader partly because he knew that it would generate far more outside interest. At the end of the day, people have already heard of Brad (from his Olympic heritage). He also comes across pretty well in interviews (when not swearing!), and has a bit more 'about him' exemplified by the music / style connections. Basically he's a better story, more likely to capture the public hearts.

If I'm on to something DB is nothing short of a PR Jedi.
  • Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I am in 2 minds about Froome.

He comes over as a decent bloke on all his interviews and says all the right things. However, his "look at me" show when slowing down for Wiggins in the mountains was out of order in my opinion.

No doubt he is a great rider and a massive help to Wiggins though and I hope he gets his chance to show how good he in in future TDF's.

His girlfriend needs to put on a leash though.
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • nic_77 wrote:
    My theory is that DB has backed Wiggins as the leader partly because he knew that it would generate far more outside interest. At the end of the day, people have already heard of Brad (from his Olympic heritage). He also comes across pretty well in interviews (when not swearing!), and has a bit more 'about him' exemplified by the music / style connections. Basically he's a better story, more likely to capture the public hearts.

If I'm on to something DB is nothing short of a PR Jedi.
    Probably something in that. I also think that Brad is probably the more 'british' rider. Froome rode as a Kenyan before taking the Queen's shilling, Brad grew up in Kilburn (little known fact :wink: ), came through the track programme and so on. Brailsford wanted a British winner in 5 years. Would people have completely accepted it as a fait accompli if that guy was Froome? ('he's Kenyan really' etc,)

Plus the parcours largely suited Brad and he's been smashing it all year.
  • Ringo 68 wrote:

I think she's having her 15 minutes of fame. She'll soon disappear. Doesn't come across well, shame she has 'Welsh' on her bio.
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,314
    nweststeyn wrote:

AygX_GqCMAAOOQa.jpg

I'm feeling sorry for Richie Porte, too: what a way to be outed.
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    OCDuPalais wrote:
    nweststeyn wrote:

AygX_GqCMAAOOQa.jpg

I'm feeling sorry for Richie Porte, too: what a way to be outed.

I was round by the Sky bus after the presentation and called out "Well done Ritchie !" and he almost looked embarrassed that someone had called him out rather than Cav or Wiggins. The unsung hero of Brad's win if you ask me.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    Ringo 68 wrote:

I think she's having her 15 minutes of fame. She'll soon disappear. Doesn't come across well, shame she has 'Welsh' on her bio.

Half Welsh, half South African I believe - like so many good looking women though, she breaks the image as soon as she speaks (or in this case, types) ;)