Cycling books

Comments

• Graeme_S wrote:
    The Hour - Michael Hutchinson

+1 for this
    also, Fallen Angel (Fausto Coppi) Put me back on my bike (Tom Simpson) both penned by Will Fotheringham.

+1 for Put Me Back On My Bike, also Breaking The Chain about the reason for the Festina Affair coming to light.
  • LutherB
    LutherB Posts: 544
    These two might be a bit obscure but good reads all the same:

Tim Hilton - One More Kilometre & We're in The Showers

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0006 ... d_i=468294

Benjo Maso - The Sweat of the Gods:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1874 ... d_i=468294
  • Ed_tron
    Ed_tron Posts: 23
    I got this recently, I think its mentioned above somewhere:

The Escape Artist - Matt Seaton

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/1841 ... UTF8&psc=1

A great insight into the culture and mentality of amateur racing in the UK, and how the author tries to reconcile that with other aspects of his life. Interesting, funny and touching.
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Seven deadly sins (my pursuit of Lance Armstrong) David Walsh. I found it very difficult to leave alone once started.

The good thing is you know the "baddy" gets it in the end. :D
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199
    I read In Pursuit of Stardom, by Tony Hewson, a couple of years ago. Its a great insight into the world of an amateur racer trying to make it into the world of pro cycling.
    Its a great yarn about three good British cyclists who modify an old ambulance and use it to seek fame and fortune in the tough world of European Pro Racing. Warts and all.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    mike6 wrote:
    I read In Pursuit of Stardom, by Tony Hewson, a couple of years ago. Its a great insight into the world of an amateur racer trying to make it into the world of pro cycling.
    Its a great yarn about three good British cyclists who modify an old ambulance and use it to seek fame and fortune in the tough world of European Pro Racing. Warts and all.

Tony and Kate are good family friends of ours, Tony is still turning the pedals and if it's to cold (as it has been) he will go for a run. Tony won the Tour of Britain in 1955 (when I was 4) and many here not born, At last years T.O.B stage start at Welshpool Tony was presented to the assembled crowd and gave a brief live interview. On the 1955 T.O.B Tony took the overall lead on a stage from Sheffield (Tony's home town) to Pwllheli, he kept the lead all the way back to London over three more stages Pwllheli-Cheltenham, Cheltenham-Bournemouth and Bournemouth-London.

Tony was interviewed not long ago by Ned Boulting for 2.5hrs regards a new Boulting book coming out in June I think.

Tony has written another book ' A Racing Cyclist's Worst Nightmare' which is a series of stories and insights that he has experienced.

Tony and I do annually the Shropshire Highland Challenge and we also have done the Johnny Helms Two-Up Gentlemen's TT last year averaging 20mph (not bad at 78) another great from the golden era and friend of Tony's is a Trevor Fenwick, I met Trevor in the Algarve this February and he still races in Belgium and is nearly 83 :roll:
  • salsiccia1
    salsiccia1 Posts: 3,725
    Being an unashamed Italophile, +1 for Pedalare, Pedalare. Road to Valor, about Gino Bartali, including his wartime exploits, is another very good read.
    It's only a bit of sport, Mun. Relax and enjoy the racing.
  • Richmond Racer
    Richmond Racer Posts: 8,561
    Boulting's new book out in Jun - 'On the Road Bike: The Search For a Nation's Cycling Soul'

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Road-Bike-Searc ... d+boulting

Will Fotheringham has a new book out soon as well

EDIT:

Fotheringham's new book 'Racing Hard'
    http://www.guardianbookshop.co.uk/Berte ... 0571303625
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I know Amazon are dead cheap and that - but it is worthwhile checking out Waterstones - they do free delivery too, their prices are pretty close to Amazon, they pay their tax and the Author gets a better cut of the price.

I've got Hellingen on order as an accompaniement to LBL and the Belgian classics: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/simon+warren/hellingen/9484267/
  • Richmond Racer
    mroli wrote:
    I know Amazon are dead cheap and that - but it is worthwhile checking out Waterstones - they do free delivery too, their prices are pretty close to Amazon, they pay their tax and the Author gets a better cut of the price.

I've got Hellingen on order as an accompaniement to LBL and the Belgian classics: http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/products/simon+warren/hellingen/9484267/

Wouldnt disagree with you - just me being lazy with the Boulting book link!
  • Ron Stuart
    mroli wrote:

Good point about the tax and the authors share but I have just ordered 'Seven Deadly Sins' hardback from Amazon and Waterstones are 25% more expensive, not similar for that baby!
  • Ron Stuart
    mroli wrote:
    Just in case you want to cancel your order - I think it is £12.15 at Amazon, £15 odd at Waterstones - but £7.99 here: http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/38624404/767953846/Seven-Deadly-Sins/ListingDetails.html?_%24ja=tsid:13315%7Ccat:38624404%7Cprd:38624404&ef_id=URpLkAAABU2t4@VN:20130411160451:s :shock:

Interesting, I have requested a cancellation and shall re-order..... Thanks!
  • dabber
    dabber Posts: 1,926
    Anyone ordered from Rakuten/Playcom recently? I thought they were restructuring earlier this year?

Any problems with them?
    “You may think that; I couldn’t possibly comment!”

Wilier Cento Uno SR/Wilier Mortirolo/Specialized Roubaix Comp/Kona Hei Hei/Calibre Bossnut
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Play is stopping selling, and just becoming a marketplace for other businesses.

I've read a few books recently, the one I enjoyed the most was Tyler's 'The Secret Race'. Also read In Search of Robert Millar, Rough Ride, Bad Blood, andBreaking The Chain. Enjoyed all of them, especially the former and the latter.
  • +1 for Hamiltons "The Secret Race". I was given it for Christmas and it's sat by my bed waiting it's turn since then. Wasn't that enthusiastic at the prospect as he's not a guy I hold in high esteem (anymore), but I couldn't put it down once I started. It's very focussed on the doping story, but there was enough detail of that to fill the book. A lot of the gory details are public through the USADA documents, but seeing it all laid out from a human perspective was gripping. If you though LA was a James Hunt before, then you'll really hate him after this. Interestingly, Hamiltons description of how he went from clean new pro into doper is almost identical to David Millars. The other striking thing is how ineffective the drug testing has been. Lots of people think that if riders, or athletes, are being tested then it's a solid defence against doping. The reality seems to be that the odds of getting caught were very low. I think there was a quote from Bernard Khol saying he'd been tested 200 times in his career, he'd had dope in his system on about 100 of those occasions, but he only tested positive once.
  • joelsim
    Yeah, I couldn't put the damn thing down, read it in 1 day and then needed a other fix. LA is just a nasty piece of work
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    I'm waiting for it to come out in paperback. Again must say seven deadly sins is a book you can't put down also.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • joelsim
    I've got that on order atm, along with 3 others. Can't wait!
  • joelsim
    Hmm. Seven Deadly Sins. Got it Friday and finished it yesterday. Need more books...
  • Richmond Racer
    Joelsim wrote:
    Hmm. Seven Deadly Sins. Got it Friday and finished it yesterday. Need more books...

After reading a couple of books all about the doping, you need to come up for some fresh air...maybe one that looks at another side of cycling, one that recalls why we watch the sport and stick with it despite everything?

How about Road to Valour about Gino Bartali?
  • joelsim
    I'll look it up, cheers RR
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Really enjoying Mountain High by Daniel Friebe. Essentially a look at all the major climbs in Europe - great photography, graphics showing gradients and comprehensive history of how the climbs have featured in iconic races over the years. Great coffee table book (if anyone still has a coffee table).
  • joelsim
    Just realised I've got the Ned Boulting one on order, but I have a coffee table so have just purchased Mountain High.
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    Joelsim wrote:
    Just realised I've got the Ned Boulting one on order, but I have a coffee table so have just purchased Mountain High.
    That does look like a fine coffee table book
  • danlikesbikes
    danlikesbikes Posts: 3,898
    @Joelsim you could also look at the man who cycled the world by Mark Beaumont is a pretty good read. Know his record has now been broken but makes for a good read IMHO
    Pain hurts much less if its topped off with beating your mates to top of a climb.
  • joelsim
    Cheers Dan
  • FocusZing
    FocusZing Posts: 4,373
    KOGA-Mark-Beaumont-Cairo-Cape-bike.jpg?itok=ltW3UFZ5

"Endurance cyclist Mark Beaumont has announced plans to go around the world in 80 days on his bike, which would involve smashing the current record.
    To be successful, the Scot will have to complete the 18,000 mile route in less than half the time he took when he set the record nine years ago.
    He will also have to knock more than 40 days off the current world record.
    Beaumont, 34, will begin his trek on 2 July and will have to travel 240 miles a day to get around the world on time."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39479386

240 miles a day!
  • FocusZing
  • FocusZing
    Miles