Unsurfaced climbs and cols

davidof
davidof Posts: 3,032
edited July 2012 in Tour & expedition
What suggestions do people have for unsurfaced climbs and col that can be tackled on a road bike? I'm looking at routes which evoke the glory days of post war road racing.

The Poggio Civitella comes to mind, this road is used in the Giro d'Italia and has a 12km climb on a "strade bianche". There is also the Colle delle Finestre. The Finestre is a big climb but you can descend on surfaced roads. The Granon in France on the north side may be a candidate - I remember a good road surface but on a mountain bike.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme

Comments

• iga
    iga Posts: 155
    What about some of the routes L'eroica use?
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • GeorgeShaw
    GeorgeShaw Posts: 764
    Mulhacen from the south. IIRC, they ride a road bike sportive up there every year. :shock:
  • andrewleck
    andrewleck Posts: 45
    Umbrial pass is partially unsurfaced and youcan descend the Stelvio
  • P_Tucker
    P_Tucker Posts: 1,878
    Parpaillon looks awesome, I'm umming and ahhing about attempting it on a road bike.
  • dylanfernley
    dylanfernley Posts: 409
    there is a rough track up the col de bonnette, which is rideable on a road bike most of the way, it is also shorter than the tarmac route.

if you ever in ireland there is a glorious route from kenmare to killarney via priests leap, again unsurfaced but ridable and worth the effort as you ride down an unspoilt valley with no traffic
  • davidof
    davidof Posts: 3,032
    if you ever in ireland there is a glorious route from kenmare to killarney via priests leap, again unsurfaced but ridable and worth the effort as you ride down an unspoilt valley with no traffic

Ireland, now there's a thought.

Thanks for the ideas.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme