Second time out :)

BikernatS
BikernatS Posts: 57
edited July 2012 in MTB beginners
Went to Errington Woods at New Maske today, only managed about 2 hours (with a few 5 min breaks) lol. Shame i'm soo unfit as it is a lovely place to ride, some uphill sections made me out of puff haha! Got scared of some of the downhill sections that are quite steep. I'm such a CHICKEN!! :(

Heading out, a friend of mine who came along to walk her dog took the pic.
WPMhY.jpg

Walking down one of the "steep sections"......
xEPzi.jpg

I suppose the more I go out and practice the better i'll get and hopefully the more confident i'll become :)

Just need someone to ride with now, hopefully get my brothers bike ready soon.

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Weight back, relax, lay of the front brake! Most people over use the front brake on slopes like this, and tense up. Take the outside line, almost to the tree you are passing then cut back to the centre and run out to the bottom.
  • Thats pretty impressive for a second ride in all fairness. Kudos!
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    I had to Google New Maske, but looks like some nice chunky green bits nearby on the map. Nice.

Take it easy at first, relax and let the bike do the work - just look where you want to end up and vaguely aim it, don't try and control it (not easy being a girl I know). Generally the bike is a lot more competent than the rider.

And have fun.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Oh but please take off those reflectors!
  • BikernatS
    cooldad wrote:
    don't try and control it (not easy being a girl I know)

And have fun.

Definately made me LOL!! Thanks for the advice. I will get rid of the reflectors asap :)
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    cooldad wrote:
    (not easy being a girl I know).
    by that, are we to assume you have tried being a girl ? :lol:
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • Hi is that a VooDoo Bantu? Nice almost got one myself. As said above relax and try to have fun don't on bike skills come with time....... Though know don't know where mine are..... Been waiting for years :shock:. Have fun.

Thanks.
  • BikernatS
    It is a Voodoo Bantu :D It's lovely!
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    chez_m356 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    He certainly has, against his will.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    chez_m356 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:
    He certainly has, against his will.
    But it did give me a fetish for duct tape
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • ElliesDad
    ElliesDad Posts: 245
    2 hours is pretty good going to be honest, about what I can manage. But then again I am 40something, unfit and overweight! :lol:

I've been round my local red route at Cannock Chase 4 times now and growing in confidence every time, best tip i have learnt when going downhill is stand up, weight back, let the bike do the work and don't go too slowly! When I started I was going too slow dragging the brakes, the faster you go the easier it is. It feels counter intuitive at first but it really does help to keep a bit of speed up! The last thing is, relax and enjoy it! :wink:
    2012 Boardman FS Team
    2014 Giant Defy 2