Forum home Road cycling forum Road buying advice

Non smelly water bottles

davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
edited July 2012 in Road buying advice
What suggestions do people have for non smelly drinks bottles? Does a smelly bottle even bother you?

I've found the Zefal Arctica insultated bottle is not bad but it is heavy.
BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
Instagramme
«1

Posts

  • estampidaestampida Posts: 1,008
    soak the bottle in sterilising fluid

    prob solved
  • Wacky RacerWacky Racer Posts: 638
    Maybe the bottle isn't the issue?

    I have a Camelback podium insulated bottle which I think is great, it never smells despite me putting all different sorts of drinks in there, never just water. But, I clean it out thoroughly after every ride spurting clean water out of it quite a few times, I then soak it using baby sterilising liquid, and I never store it with the lid screwed down, always separately (empty bottles stored with the lid on will smell). Always dry it properly. I always give it another quick rinse before I refill it too.

    Maybe I'm just a bit OCD with the bottle, but if I'm putting something near my mouth it must be clean.
    Ridley Orion
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    I'm talking about the nasty chemical smell you get even from brand new bottles.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • TMRTMR Posts: 3,986
    Put it in the dishwasher?

    Honestly, First World problems...
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    Camelback Podium bottles are designed to be odour and taste neutral so there is no smell/taint to them.

    Realy good bottles and they are always open but never spill (due to the fancy drink nozzle).

    You can get insulated or non insulated at varying sizes and colours too.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Wacky RacerWacky Racer Posts: 638
    davidof wrote:
    I'm talking about the nasty chemical smell you get even from brand new bottles.

    In which case I would recommend the Camelback Podium I mentioned in my previous post. No smell from new, and if cleaned after every use it won't smell afterwards either.
    Ridley Orion
  • sam.i.amsam.i.am Posts: 6
    I have a science in sport model that must be 5/6 years old and still tastes of plastic.
    Another +1 for the camelback podium from me.
  • ShutUpLegsShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    The Rapha ones have a taste free plastic ensuring a natural water taste

    WAC
  • verylonglegsverylonglegs Posts: 3,680
    If you don't like the smell of something then stop sniffing it.
  • Just dissolve a heaped tea spoon of sodium bicarb in a bottle full of water and leave it overnight.. Or buy a bottle that uses a different plastic that doesn't small bad. I can't stand those old 'nalgene' bottles - bleurgh! but I believe they changed the plastic type and they don't do that any more.
  • MattC59MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    eeeerm............. wash them ?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • calmx5calmx5 Posts: 229
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    The Rapha ones have a taste free plastic ensuring a natural water taste

    WAC
    The Rapha ones are actually Camelback Podiums, just in Rapha livery! So +1 for camel backs
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    So Camelback Podiums and Zefal Arctica are all we've got so far. The problem is, if you just fill them with water the plastic taste quickly leaches into the water.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • Wacky RacerWacky Racer Posts: 638
    davidof wrote:
    So Camelback Podiums and Zefal Arctica are all we've got so far. The problem is, if you just fill them with water the plastic taste quickly leaches into the water.

    But, not with the Camelback Podium's, as explained by many on here.
    Ridley Orion
  • As others have said camelback bottles don't sink even with water, same goes with taste, just use babies sterilizing fluid to clean them out, simple ;-)
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    smidsy said:

    Camelback Podium bottles are designed to be odour and taste neutral so there is no smell/taint to them.


    Realy good bottles and they are always open but never spill (due to the fancy drink nozzle).


    You can get insulated or non insulated at varying sizes and colours too.

    Thanks Smidsy, I ordered the Podium in the end. I've not used it on the trail yet but it doesn't have that chemical smell of most bottles and seems well designed as a bottle.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    edited April 2020
    Eight years later and you 'haven't used it on the trail yet' ?
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 26,758
    I wonder what happened to Smidsy... I sold him a frame and even cooked some pasta for him...
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    Maybe it was the pasta...?
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    Got it yesterday, will check it out tonight after having washed it thoroughly in case of Covid contamination.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    What happened between 2012 and now ?
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    When it comes to spending money I don't like to rush in to things.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • fenixfenix Posts: 5,437
    Very wise.
  • ugo.santaluciaugo.santalucia Posts: 26,758

    Maybe it was the pasta...?

    ... or maybe the frame... :#
  • mugensimugensi Posts: 559
    I use those denture cleaner fizzy tabs to clean my bottle once a week. Fill the bottle with warm water, drop in a tablet and screw the lid on, shake and leave over night. They work a treat.
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    mugensi said:

    I use those denture cleaner fizzy tabs to clean my bottle once a week. Fill the bottle with warm water, drop in a tablet and screw the lid on, shake and leave over night. They work a treat.

    I use a bit of bleach as I don't have falseys
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • imposter2.0imposter2.0 Posts: 11,729
    edited April 2020
    davidof said:

    mugensi said:

    I use those denture cleaner fizzy tabs to clean my bottle once a week. Fill the bottle with warm water, drop in a tablet and screw the lid on, shake and leave over night. They work a treat.

    I use a bit of bleach as I don't have falseys
    wait - are you trolling?
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 25,288 Lives Here
    davidof said:

    When it comes to spending money I don't like to rush in to things.

    Glad I wasn't drinking anything when i read that :-)
  • davidofdavidof Posts: 2,716
    edited April 2020
    Seriously the advice here was very useful. The Podium was double the cost of a Decathlon bottle (11 euros as opposed to 5 euros) so I hesitated.

    The Podium seals without any leakage, which is really nice, but you can't just open it with your teeth like other bottles (ok you need your own teeth to do this or use industrial strength Dentofix) which is a bit of a downside perhaps.
    BASI Nordic Ski Instructor
    Instagramme
  • flasherflasher Posts: 1,733
    davidof said:

    Seriously the advice here was very useful. The Podium was double the cost of a Decathlon bottle (11 euros as opposed to 5 euros) so I hesitated.

    The Podium seals without any leakage, which is really nice, but you can't just open it with your teeth like other bottles (ok you need your own teeth to do this or use industrial strength Dentofix) which is a bit of a downside perhaps.

    Just leave it set open, works fine no leaks
Sign In or Register to comment.