Nukeproof mega am bike. (thoughts)

irvs
irvs Posts: 204
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Afternoon everyone, I was in chain reaction cycles on Saturday an d totally fell In love with the nukeproof mega am bike. I'm confided in getting it around Xmas (hopefully with some Xmas discount), but I'm wondering what's everyone's views on the bike. Does anyone on here own one or have tried one out???

Thanks Neil

Comments

• i take it your talking about one of the full builds? what is the spec?

I picked up a mega frame about a month ago and really like it. its a stiff frame that pedals well enough and descends like nothing i've ever ridden before.
  • irvs
    Yip it was the pro version with the monarch rear shock (black frame) how's it go up hills or feel on long rides on trails???

Thanks Neil
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Not ridden a Mega but if its half as good as the Scalp it will be a great bike. I have seen a lot of Mega's on uplifts and even at DH races and their owners all really like them.
    Early ones had problems with the chain stays breaking but I'm pretty sure that problem has been sorted.
  • an_original_name
    an_original_name Posts: 339
    edited July 2012
    it climbs pretty well, its certainly not the lightest frame in its category, but sat in the saddle there's no pedal bob, and with the pro pedal lever (or whatever rockshox call it) turned to full on its pretty firm standing up as well.

my only 2 complaints with it are that the rear drop outs don't have any tabs to catch the wheel while your fitting it, so you have to hold it in place when fitting and removing the axle (not exactly a deal breaker), and the tune on the rear shock is a little bit too high for me. i like to run very little rebound damping for a very lively feel, and at the moment i have the rebound turned full open and its still not as fast as i would like. i'm starting to get used to it, but if it doesn't improve after a few more rides i might give TF a call and see what they say.
  • Early ones had problems with the chain stays breaking but I'm pretty sure that problem has been sorted.

yeah that was one of the first batches of frames i think. nukeproof sorted it pretty quickly. they redesigned the rear triangle and basically did an optional recall on all affected frames. Awesome customer service if you ask me.
  • irvs
    I had a good look around the pro bike and it was well spec'ed and looked soo sweet in black and yellow. It'll be my first full suspension bike so I really wana get it right and the mega pro just seems to tick all the boxes well exempt for the weight. But it's impossible to get everything we want.

Thanks for the positive comments.
    Neil
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Early ones had problems with the chain stays breaking but I'm pretty sure that problem has been sorted.

yeah that was one of the first batches of frames i think. nukeproof sorted it pretty quickly. they redesigned the rear triangle and basically did an optional recall on all affected frames. Awesome customer service if you ask me.

It was Nukeproof's customer service which persuaded me to buy the Scalp rather than the Norco Aurum. I contacted Hotlines to see where I could go and sit on a large & medium bike to try them for size and they offered to take a pair of bikes to my local shop the next morning for me to try and then said that I could have a very good discount if I bought their immaculate demo bike. If I wanted to get a large & medium Norco Aurum to my local Evans I would have had to pay £100 deposit and wait four weeks.