what bike

martin yorkston
martin yorkston Posts: 6
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi everyone,a breef history of myself,ive been away from bikes for years,got into cars,raced hotrods in scotland at cowdenbeath and knockhill but due to a back injury i can't race again.three months ago i had an operation on my back and after loads of physio i am starting to walk pretty well and am now starting to cycle and enjoying it emmensely.i have a never ending itch to race so to get that adrenaline hit i think downhill would be right up my street.now i obviously will not be doing any downhill for a few monthes yet but im just looking for some nudges in the right direction on what bike to get.i like the look of some of the big hit bikes but don't know if these are any good and there are so many other makes its hard to know what to stay away from.i will be looking for second hand something nice and chunky which will take a good bit of abuse.
thanks in advance,martin.

Comments

• Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    so what are you asking?
  • so what are you asking?
    im just looking for some nudges in the right direction on what bike to get.i like the look of some of the big hit bikes but don't know if these are any good and there are so many other makes its hard to know what to stay away from.i will be looking for second hand something nice and chunky which will take a good bit of abuse.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    so what are you asking?
    im just looking for some nudges in the right direction on what bike to get.i like the look of some of the big hit bikes but don't know if these are any good and there are so many other makes its hard to know what to stay away from.i will be looking for second hand something nice and chunky which will take a good bit of abuse.

And what/where are you intending on riding/racing?
  • Briggo wrote:
    so what are you asking?

i thought i had asked every thing in my first post.
    i live in the south east of scotland and at a rough guess there must be tracks in scotland?or is there not?
  • Briggo wrote:
    so what are you asking?

i thought i had asked every thing in my first post.
    i live in the south east of scotland and at a rough guess there must be tracks in scotland?or is there not?
    sorry meant to say again im interested in doing downhill.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
  • supersonic wrote:
    What is your budget?
    up to about £1000
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You will get a basic, long travel bike that will cope with some downhill, or a second hand rig. Very hard to advise about the latter without seeing them - by nature many have been thrashed!