New bike, Giant Defy 2

dugliss
dugliss Posts: 235
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I`ve just picked up a Giant Defy 2 as my first road bike. Overall I`m very happy with it although I`ve only done about 30 miles so far on it. A couple of things that I`m not so sure about, firstly the brakes seem very weak. I`ve come from a Boardman hybrid with disc brakes so it was always going to be noticeable but I`m a little worried at the lack of stopping power. Would getting some decent brakepads make much of a difference? If so, what should I look at getting?
Secondly, and less importantly are the handle bars. They seem quite thin on the tops and I would personally prefer a fatter(and more cushioned) bar. Is it worth double wrapping them or putting some of the gel pads on them or would I be better off buying new bars? I have a mate that has a Cube Attempt and that has FSA wing bars on where the tops are almost flat, I really like the feel of these. Should I just look at getting some of these or is there a cheaper option to "fatten" the tops up a bit?

Comments

• essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    I changed pads to swisstop greens and the difference in feel and power was amazing :)

Double wrap the tops, or you can get gel pads to fit under the bar tape also.
  • dugliss
    Could I put the pads over my existing tape and then wrap again or would that just end up a lumpy mess?
  • essjaydee
    essjaydee Posts: 917
    dugliss wrote:
    Could I put the pads over my existing tape and then wrap again or would that just end up a lumpy mess?

Not sure, as I have never done this myself. Suppose you could put a pad over existing tape, then temp wrap with a bit of spare bar tape, or insulation tape, just to see what it looks like.

For info; I have a hybrid with hydraulic disc brakes, and my road bike with the swisstop green pads fitted, now feel better brakes then my hybrid :|
  • First of all, congratulations on the Defy 2. I've got the previous version from a few years back, the SCR 2.

I use Kool-stop salmon brake pads, work well for me.
    Wind. Cold. Rain. Pick two.
  • dugliss
    Ok, thanks guys, I`ll look into getting some new pads then
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Swissstop green on my Defy....looovely
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!