need help!

cammyb96
cammyb96 Posts: 107
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
I don't know why people rage but don't post useful things like where to buy DH bikes... people give so much confusing stuff that I don't know what to think. So I basically need to know where I can get a DH bike, please don't rage, thats what got my other thread locked....

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    as i said last time
    nicklouse wrote:
    Or go to some local DH races and see what they are using and see if there are any people selling any bikes.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • cammyb96
    I never meant that towards you you post useful stuff and my thread was locked so I couldn't post
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You aren't going to get a DH bike for your budget of 2-300 quid. You will need to up your budget.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    I think people 'rage' because you have asked the same questions multiple times in multiple threads. You have been given the correct answers to your questions many times. People get pissed off repeating themselves over and over just because you are either not reading or not understanding the advice being given.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I've tried posting useful stuff before. You ignored it.

You can't get a DH bike for £300, they don't exist, so stop asking because that's why people are getting plssed off. Equally, you can't buy a £200 XC bike and bolt bits on to miraculously turn it into a DH bike. So stop asking that too.

For a DH bike, even one on a budget, you'll want at least 180mm of travel I'd say. If you try on pinkbike, they even have categories on there to keep it nice and simple for you. The one you want to be looking in is "Freeride/DH bikes".

Don't bother looking in the XC bike category because you'll not find what you need. You could probably buy something pretty bargain basement, but relatively fit for purpose, starting at about £700-800.

Remember, in addition to that, you also need to be looking at buying a Full Face lid (minimum of £60), and it's strongly advisable to get some armour (£30 for just leg/shin protection).

Finally, if you really are going to be doing real downhill riding, you'll be breaking stuff, lots. Meaning you'll need plenty of spare cash to get stuff fixed/replaced. If your budget does not allow for this, you should really consider if this is the sport for you right now.

Do you have an example of a specific location you're planning on riding, so we can see you're not getting DH confused with something else? I may have missed this amongst your dozen or so identical threads so apologies if that's the case.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Don't bother looking in the XC bike category because you'll not find what you need. You could probably buy something pretty bargain basement, but relatively fit for purpose, starting at about £700-800.

There is some real sh1tty stuff on Pinkbike. Cheapest thing to get started in downhill is something like a Giant STP. It may be a jump bike but I know people who use them for DH, one of them even won the South West Championships at Gawton on a STP. They are a solid bike but you need to learn some technique to ride a hardtail fast downhill (ignore anyone who says you can't ride DH on a hardtail). You could possibly get a good one used for about £500.
    These aren't proper DH bikes so you will kill wheels and eventually crack the frame but I would avoid any full suspension downhill bike for less than a grand as they are generally fooked, even a dead set of forks will cost you £500 to replace.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Going back to basics, what is your riding experience? DH is quite hard - unless you are a fairly experienced rider start smaller and work up.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cammyb96
    Cat With No Tail: thanks for the post and I would be riding in Scotland, I am only a few hours away from fort William. What about a second-hand DH bike?

I just want to add that I didn't know that was an XC bike, I didn't even repeat myself on that post... I asked if it was an XC or DH bike and things just got crazy... sorry if I'm a tube and know shit about things!
  • supersonic
    What is your total budget?
  • cammyb96
    I've had my eyes on this second hand bike but I know thee price will shoot up and I didn't post it because there are already 50+ watchers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DOWNHILL-MOUN ... 594wt_1344
  • cammyb96
    supersonic wrote:
    What is your total budget?

max my budget would be £500
  • supersonic
    That bike is about 12 years old, probably not the best. You are really going to struggle to get a full on DH bike for this money, even second hand, and if you do, is likely to be poor.

This is not a DH bike, but a capable all rounder:

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... e=shopping

It will be good for minor DH, and a starter into the sport, and will cope with drops of 3 foot or so, smaller boulders, some jumps. it will get you down the hill.
  • cammyb96
    looks good, I am a bit worried about maintaining a DH bike. I am only 15 and haven't got a job yet so I have no real income, what do you think?
  • supersonic
    As before, is going to be very difficult to do on a little budget. Rather than start with DH, why not get a decent hardtail with 100 or 120mm forks, and just ride some normal trails? This will be good for skills and fitness and, if you like it, consider DH when in a better position?
  • Tom Barton
    Tom Barton Posts: 516
    Buy a hardcore hardtail. Race 4x style stuff. Buy a DH bike in a couple of years when you can afford a proper one - don't buy a lemon for the sake of 'full suss'. The bikes are cheap, strong and relatively easy to look after and you'll develop plenty of riding skills.

For example:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAPIERRE-MOUNTAIN-BIKE-JUMP-BIKE-RAPT1-1-BRAND-NEW-RRP-520-/251113948983?pt=UK_Bikes_GL&hash=item3a778ec737
  • rockmonkeysc
    Banshee is no DH bike and will be a bit of a handful on DH tracks but its the best your going to get.
    Forget about riding fort William for a few years, I have done it and its by far the hardest DH trail I have ridden, mistakes there mean broken bones and I had to straighten my wheels after every other run.
    Downhill is the most technical form of mountain biking (except trials) you can't just get in to it with no experience and not expect to get hurt, you WILL break bones, I broke four in my first year. Also be prepared to break your bike, especially if its a cheap one.
    As I said before don't even think about used DH bikes for under a grand, they will have had a hard life and will cost a heap to repair. Never buy anything which is cracked or has been welded or even re sprayed.
  • cammyb96
    that sounds like the best thing to do, I have an Apollo outrage but that thing is crap haha, its old and got rust all over it!
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cammyb96 wrote:
    Cat With No Tail: thanks for the post and I would be riding in Scotland, I am only a few hours away from fort William.

Ok, but is that where you are planning on riding most of the time? Surely there is a local track or trail you are planning on riding? Do you have an example? You might find that an All-mountain type bike, or even an XC bike will be fine, in which case you'll have more options available.

If the World Cup course at Fort Bill is where you're planning on doing the majority of your riding, then you absolutely, 100%, no doubt about it want a PROPER, REAL DH bike.

And armour, lots of it.
  • cammyb96
    there is trails closer, I live in Dundee and there are the sidlaw hills with trails there. There's one that is in local forestry maybe 5-10 mins away.
  • cammyb96
    there is this hard-tail, I know Commencal is a quality brand and this bike looks great!

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=66758
  • supersonic
    Good for the money, but this is better (and harder!):

http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/b ... -bike.html

£450 with the discount.
  • Removing "real" downhill from the equation, i think you would perhaps like a decent AM bike. Something that can get you around fairly easily but also take a bit more of a beating ? Im thinking, perhaps a second hand Summer Season 456? Quite a few around with 140-160 forks within budget on the second hand market.

Just a thought.
  • rockmonkeysc
    If the World Cup course at Fort Bill is where you're planning on doing the majority of your riding, then you absolutely, 100%, no doubt about it want a PROPER, REAL DH bike.

And a good amount of talent, some good body armour and a real talent for truing and building wheels.
  • cammyb96
    supersonic wrote:

£450 with the discount.

nice bike but £450 is really pushing my budget :D
  • rockmonkeysc
    Removing "real" downhill from the equation, i think you would perhaps like a decent AM bike. Something that can get you around fairly easily but also take a bit more of a beating ? Im thinking, perhaps a second hand Summer Season 456? Quite a few around with 140-160 forks within budget on the second hand market.

Just a thought.

Not a bad suggestion, I started DH racing on a 456 Summer Season, with a 160mm fork fitted it's a proper downhill beast but make a mistake & it will spit you off. Mine has been going for 2 years now and even after some proper stupidity at the local freeride spot it's still solid. It still isn't cheap though, using mostly used parts mine cost £1000 to build, could possibly do it for £800 and get a reliable build.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cammyb96 wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

£450 with the discount.

nice bike but £450 is really pushing my budget :D

You really seem to be struggling with this concept.

What you have asked for (a bike capable of doing the Fort Bill WC course for around £300)
    simply
    does
    not
    exist

You say £450 is really pushing your budget. That £450 bike will last a lot longer on DH trails than the £380 one you linked to, which is an XC bike. Even then it's not going to be great, you'll spend a lot of time breaking stuff, and when it's running, you'll spend a lot of the time having to gtfo of the way of people on proper DH bikes who will be significantly faster.

Can't you get a summer job to earn some money to put towards something that's not going to rattle to bits the first time you show it a DH trail? Another few hundred quid will go a LONG way towards getting yourself something that will last.

For what it's worth, I'm going to second the idea of getting a second hand summer season. I did a few DH races on my old 456 and it was fine. HOWEVER..... they were the easier courses in our DH champs, and I would have been much faster on a DH bike. And I wouldn't have attempted anything like Fort William on it (although I know a few who have).
  • cammyb96
    I do get it, if you looked at me and supersonic's conversation you would see he suggested getting a HT and doing minor trails until I can afford a good DH bike. I just need a new bike because I'm stuck with an Apollo Outrage which is rusting and is really crap... If I do save up to buy a more expensive bike it will be after Christmas my budget then would be roughly £800-1000, that's a really rough estimate.
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    So really you are after a reasonably capable mountain bike now? Not a DH bike.

In which case the budget is £300? So either buy second hand if you feel confident enough or buy second hand from a large retailer e.g Decathlon or Halfords.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco
  • cammyb96
    waby1234 wrote:
    So really you are after a reasonably capable mountain bike now? Not a DH bike.

In which case the budget is £300? So either buy second hand if you feel confident enough or buy second hand from a large retailer e.g Decathlon or Halfords.

we'll tbh I don't know, I'll just wait and see how it plays out but thanks for all the help anyway, everyone's info has helped!
  • waby1234
    waby1234 Posts: 571
    I'd suggest you buy a cheap bike now, ride it and improve your skills. Stick to trails and maybe ride down some hills. Then save up like mad and come back with at least a grand to buy a DH bike.
    2011 Carrera Fury

Earn cashback at CRC, Wiggle, Evans, Rutland, Hargroves, Halfords, and more at Quidco