Pro4 Tyres

Headhuunter
Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I ordered a pair of Pro4 Endurance tyres through Ribble last week, they appear to be the new version of Krylions. However Ribble has sent me Pro4 Service Course. Has anyone got any experience with Pro4 tyres - there seem to be 4 different types which is pretty confusing. I'm after something like the Krylion with its puncture protection but good speed...

Should I send the Service Courses back? Do SC puncture very easily? In fact does anyone know much about the differences between the 4 different types of Pro4 tyres?

Ideally I'd just like to keep them because I really can't be @rsed with the faff of sending them back but if it's going to mean loads of punctures I will...
Do not write below this line. Office use only.

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    In fact does anyone know much about the differences between the 4 different types of Pro4 tyres?

Good overview of each tyre...
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/road- ... ype=type_3

Comparative performance charts...
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/learn ... pro4-range
  • Headhuunter
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    In fact does anyone know much about the differences between the 4 different types of Pro4 tyres?

Good overview of each tyre...
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/road- ... ype=type_3

Comparative performance charts...
    http://www.michelin.co.uk/bicycle/learn ... pro4-range

Thanks v much... I should've been able to find that myself but the Michelin website seems to be utter sh!te... So it seems that service course are simply 1 step down from Endurance in terms of puncture resistance
  • outcastjack
    outcastjack Posts: 237
    I wouldn't worry about the puncture resistance too much, I have been running the notoriously fragile pro3 race tyres for the last 1000miles or so and have yet to puncture. This includes about 200 miles around central London and Liverpool
  • extrusion
    extrusion Posts: 247
    Keep em and put in a claim for the free pair of Lithion 2 tyres!
  • Headhuunter
    extrusion wrote:
    Keep em and put in a claim for the free pair of Lithion 2 tyres!

Yeah I saw I could do that.... What are Lithion 2s like? The Michelin website said something about them being similar to Pro4 which sounds a bit strange...
  • Headhuunter
    I wouldn't worry about the puncture resistance too much, I have been running the notoriously fragile pro3 race tyres for the last 1000miles or so and have yet to puncture. This includes about 200 miles around central London and Liverpool

Really? That's encouraging... I had Krylion Carbonds which were fantastic but eventually wore out so I switched to some Schwalbe Stelvio Light which I'd bought in a sales a few monbths back but they are AWFUL... I had about 3 punctures in thousands of miles of riding in the Krylions but I've already had about 7 or 8 puncs in the Schwalbes and they've only been on for about a month! It's made me a bit jumpy about getting punctrues
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Don't send them back, get them on your bike and go or a ride! Pro 4 service course are fine tyres and are absolutely fine re. flats. Endurance are the new Krylions as you probably know, and also fine tyres.
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    My experience of Pro4's is that they ride like the Pro3 but cut up less and have better flat resistance because the central 'lack of tread' is thicker. I'm impressed so far as well.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,179

Similar experience for me, I had one Pro Race 3 Service Course that punctured in a couple of days (think I picked up some glass on a cycle path) but have since done well over 1,000 miles on them with no problems (fingers crossed etc.) despite the recent crap weather, hedge cutting on said cycle path and regular commutes along a terrible section of industrial estate road. A club mate had a set of Pro Race 4s on the other day and said they were excellent but not sure which version he had.
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited March 2014
    Keep the pro4 supplied much better tyre all round.
    Maybe change them for winter.
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    I used to ride Pro 3's and they rolled beautifully, however they did cut up and I never managed more than 2000 miles.

Decided to try the Pro 4's but kept to black as they are supposed to grip better and wear better.

After over 300 miles I am so impressed, totally different to the Pro3's, just fantastic.

I already run the Lithion 2's on my winter training and for a winter tyre are brill.
  • ilm_zero7
    ilm_zero7 Posts: 2,213
    My experience of Pro4's is that they ride like the Pro3 but cut up less and have better flat resistance because the central 'lack of tread' is thicker. I'm impressed so far as well.
    just put a new pair on my UK bike - and i like them too.
    http://veloviewer.com/SigImage.php?a=3370a&r=3&c=5&u=M&g=p&f=abcdefghij&z=a.png
    Wiliers: Cento Uno/Superleggera R and Zero 7. Bianchi Infinito CV and Oltre XR2