Would this size 54 Specialized Secteur frameset be for me ?

Raffles
Raffles Posts: 1,137
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I won a 2010 size 54 Specialized Secteur frameset on ebay recently, I know spesh dont sell secteur framesets in the uk, but a bike retailer had one in his shop. The bike I ride with a 100 mm stem has a 150mm headtube, top tube length 543mm and I use 30mm of spacers to make it very comfy. The spesh frameset has a 165mm headtube but I wasnt aware that the top tube is 548mm. With the bigger headtube I will obviously be able to drastically reduce the amount of spacers I need on my other bike, but would that longer toptube length of 5mm throw everything out of whack, or would the extra height of the top tube come into play.

I am 5 feet 9 inches and have a 30 inch inseam, longer upper torso and shorty legs :oops:

I really must research products more thoroughly before bidding on ebay, its not the end of the world and if it doesnt suit , it will be an easy sell.
2012 Cannondale CAAD 8 105

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You can use this really useful website to see what height and length of stem does (most steerer angles are ~73 deg, btw):
    http://alex.phred.org/stemchart/Default.aspx

Failing that, why not just go with a 95mm stem? Why not try a 90mm? Buy cheap ones off ebay, find the right length and then get a decent one (and flog the others to get your money back).
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Im 5ft 7" with a 31" inseam and ride a 54cm Allez/100mm stem with no problems, so I can't see you'd have an issue, sounds like it should fit you fine.
  • Raffles
    Nickel wrote:
    Im 5ft 7" with a 31" inseam and ride a 54cm Allez/100mm stem with no problems, so I can't see you'd have an issue, sounds like it should fit you fine.

What size handlebars to saddle drop are you running ?

My focus is on doing lots of miles in comfort so therefore my saddle-bars drop is just 2 cms, with a 165mm headtube this shouldnt be a problem to set up. With you being just 5 ft 7, how are you finding the reach to be ?
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    I'm 5ft 9" with a 29" leg and ride a 54" Specialized Sirrus Elite with dropped bars and it's fine for me
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'm 5'9 (on a good day!) and ride a Roubaix 54cm frame. Recently changed to a 110cm stem and it's as comfy as anything. you'll be fine on that size frame 8)
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Raffles wrote:
    Nickel wrote:

What size handlebars to saddle drop are you running ?

My focus is on doing lots of miles in comfort so therefore my saddle-bars drop is just 2 cms, with a 165mm headtube this shouldnt be a problem to set up. With you being just 5 ft 7, how are you finding the reach to be ?

I've got a 4cm drop and the stem is at the top of the stack, If I wanted a bigger drop I'd have to use a 90mm stem as the reach would be too far but I've ridden thousands of miles with my current setup and find it very comfortable, not really fussed about a really 'racy' position. Bars are 42cm.
  • Raffles
    Current Bike:

Top Tube 543mm
    Head Tube 150mm
    Head Tube angle 72.5

New Spesh Frameset

Top Tube 548mm
    Head Tube 165mm
    Head Tube angle 72

Both seat tube angles are 73.5

If I used the same FSA 100mm stem, would you say the reach on both of these should be fairly similar ?

Im intrigued by the guy who said he needed a longer 110mm when he uses the spesh.
  • Raffles
    Luv2ride wrote:
    I'm 5'9 (on a good day!) and ride a Roubaix 54cm frame. Recently changed to a 110cm stem and it's as comfy as anything. you'll be fine on that size frame 8)

what is your saddle to bar drop, is your stem set downwards pointing or flipped and do you use spacers ?

Im really curious when your height is introduced into the equation that you need a 110mm stem on that size bike with a 548mm reach.
  • Raffles
    back to top to get answer to reach question :oops:
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    5mm is nothing, you can always go for a slightly shorter stem if necessary.