Wireless router help needed

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
The wifi signal on the Sky Sagem adsl modem/router is about as good as Cadel Evan's puncture protection on stage 14, so I want to use a Linksys WRT54GL wireless router from my spares box to handle the wifi whilst the Sagem just connects to the internet.

I've used the Linksys in the past and made a note of the ip address, network name etc on a sticky label under the router and I know these details have not changed and when I turn the router on, the laptop detects a wireless network with the name that I had given the Linksys when it was last used.

I've connected the Linksys to the laptop via ethernet and used a browser (Firefox, not that I think it matters) to try to look at the admin page for the router using the ip address written underneath but the connection keeps timing out. I've tried this repeatedly and also tried the standard ip address (I changed it when I used it previously for reasons I cannot remember) but this also times out.
I think I have to use cmd to ping it or use ipconfig or something like that, but its been a long time since I've done anything like that and I can't remember what to do (if I ever knew in the first place).

For now, my question is: How do I find the ip address of the Linksys so that I can get access to the admin page?
After that I think I can turn off the wifi of the Sagem and use the Linksys' instead, but lets cross that bridge when I get to it, eh?

Thanks muchly.

TL:DR How do I find the ip address of the Linksys router so that I can get access to the admin page?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    start>cmd enter
    in black box write ipconfig and get your laptops ip address but also your default gateway - which is the linksys ip address (as long as your are using dhcp)
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • EKE_38BPM
    start>cmd enter
    in black box write ipconfig and get your laptops ip address but also your default gateway - which is the linksys ip address (as long as your are using dhcp)
    I've just tried that and the default gateway I get is the ip address of the Sagem.

• or use cmd box arp - a to get a list of ip addresses in the table., you would be best typing ipconfig /all to get all the details.
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • and I guess you are not using the same ip for both routers
    Sorry its not me it's the bike ;o)

Strava Dude link http://www.strava.com/athletes/amander
    Commuting, Domestic & Pleasure : Specialized Sectuer Sport Disc

Please Sponsor http://www.justgiving.com/alister-manderfield1
  • EKE_38BPM
    or use cmd box arp -
    Eh?
    a to get a list of ip addresses in the table., you would be best typing ipconfig /all to get all the details.
    ipconfig /all just blinded me with science. I need baby steps! Talk to me as you would a child, or probably more accurately (as kids seem to be born just knowing this stuff) your mother!

• mossychops
    mossychops Posts: 262
    Pressing the reset button on the back of the Linksys for 30 seconds will reset the device to factory defaults (IP 192.168.1.1, no username and password "admin")

Probably easiest to reset it and add the wireless network again that trying to find it as the device will only show in the ARP cache if you have connected to it already and if you are not on the same subnet as the access points IP address, you wont be able to connect to it anyway.

Be aware that the Sagem may have this IP address already. Also if your laptop doesnt already have a 192.168.1.x address then you will have to manually add an IP on this range for the laptop to talk to the access point.

Let me know if you need any help with the above, happy to help after you spent time helping me find a bike for the missus :)
  • EKE_38BPM
    and I guess you are not using the same ip for both routers
    No, the Sagem is 192.168.0.1, the Linksys default ip address is 192.168.1.1 but as I changed it, it is now supposed to be 192.168.1.2

• mossychops
    edited July 2012
    Ignore this post and see below. It seems like your issue is that the Sagem is on subnet 192.168.1.x and the Linksys is on 192.168.0.x. You cannot talk between these 2 subnets in your situation.

You will need to move the Sagem to the 192.168.0.x subnet for everythign to talk to each other.
  • mossychops
    Updated some more now I know your IP address:

On your laptop open Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on "Local Area Network connection" and choose "properties"
    Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" or TCP/IP
    Select "use the following IP address" and enter IP address: 192.168.1.99, subnet mask 255.255.225.0, gateway 192.168.1.1
    Ignore DNS servers for now
    Click apply or OK
    Now open internet browser and type "http://192.168.1.1"
    Leave username blank and use password "admin" (unless you have changed these)
    Go through the config of the access point, ensure that no where has the setting DHCP server set to on (you use your Sagem for DHCP)
    Find the Linksys LAN address setting and change this to 192.168.0.2
    You will have to save these settings and probably have to restart the access point
    Go back to your laptops TCP/IP or Internet protocol version 4 and change this back to "obtain an IP address automatically"
    After a few seconds You should now be able to log into your Sagem 192.168.0.1 and Linksys 192.168.0.2
    Configure the Linksys wireless settings as you want them and use that config on the laptop
    Surf away!
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    reset the linksys box power off, put paperclip in 'ole

turn on

wait 30 seconds take out paper clip

now try the default ip
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • EKE_38BPM
    mossychops wrote:
    Updated some more now I know your IP address:

On your laptop open Control Panel > Network Connections > Right click on "Local Area Network connection" and choose "properties"
    Double click on "Internet Protocol Version 4" or TCP/IP
    Select "use the following IP address" and enter IP address: 192.168.1.99, subnet mask 255.255.225.0, gateway 192.168.1.1
    Ignore DNS servers for now
    Click apply or OK
    Now open internet browser and type "http://192.168.1.1"
    Leave username blank and use password "admin" (unless you have changed these)
    Go through the config of the access point, ensure that no where has the setting DHCP server set to on (you use your Sagem for DHCP)
    Find the Linksys LAN address setting and change this to 192.168.0.2
    You will have to save these settings and probably have to restart the access point
    Go back to your laptops TCP/IP or Internet protocol version 4 and change this back to "obtain an IP address automatically"
    After a few seconds You should now be able to log into your Sagem 192.168.0.1 and Linksys 192.168.0.2
    Configure the Linksys wireless settings as you want them and use that config on the laptop
    Surf away!

Done (I think) but now I can't get access to the Linksys again!