Different cassette for Better Climbing???

twist83
twist83 Posts: 761
edited July 2012 in The workshop
Not for me but for the other half. It has become evident on the longer rides with a lot of hills involved the other half could do with a little assistance on the short/sharper ones. Twice she virtually ground to a stop on a couple climbs.

Currently she has a 50/34 compact up front and a 12-25 out rear. As a temp measure while she gets stronger I was thinking of changing her rear cassette to a 12-28T. She has a 105 rear mech (New type) which I believe would handle the 12-28T cassette fine and dandy and I have a spare chain she can put on with it.

She is not wanting for a massive amount but this is killing her and spoiling a lot of the rides.

So.... Would this provide a fairly decent difference for climbing. I realise some of the Ratios in the middle would likely change however she can work around this.

Thoughts guys? Is this sensible. We dont want to go to the expense and faff of moving to a triple up front either.

Comments

• antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Yes, it makes a significant difference.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • twist83
    Sounds like the way to go then I guess. We will keep hold of her 12-25 cassette and chain as they havent had that much use.
  • TommyEss
    TommyEss Posts: 1,855
    My 28t made a massive difference on the long mountain climbs in Spain, and is a life-saver on the short-sharp-son-of-satan climbs we have round our neck of the woods! Do it!!
    Cannondale Synapse 105, Giant Defy 3, Giant Omnium, Giant Trance X2, EMC R1.0, Ridgeback Platinum, On One Il Pompino...
  • twist83
    Sounds like the way to go. Will get one ordered now from Ribble.

Should give her that extra gearing she needs to get over the short/sharp steep ones and give her legs a break on the steeper/dragging climbs.

Cheers Guys :)
  • monkeycowboy
    monkeycowboy Posts: 186
    Ive got one, need it for some of the Mendip hills like Draycott.