Advice on computers

wilky27
wilky27 Posts: 200
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

Decided to buy a computer to measure my cadence and heart rate so was looking for any advice on which models where reliable and which ones to avoid. I've been looking at the Cateye Strada as they get good reviews, but they don't seem to make one that does both cadence and heart rate. I'm looking to spend around £100, but would be willing to spend more if required.

Thanks in advance,
Wilky.

Comments

• Ringo 68
    Ringo 68 Posts: 441
    I know it is quite a bit above your budget but I just got a Garmin Edge 500 with cadence and HR for £189 from Halfords.

I have had a couple of short rides to test it out and find it fantastic. The information that you can upload to Garmin Connect makes very interesting reading, especially the cadence and HR information (I am in a higher HR zone than I would like but this might be down to 3 weeks off my bike and partying whilst on holiday)

The only downside is that the hills that I ride, which I had previously told myself were Cat 1 climbs due to their steepness actually are only abot 5% :oops: :roll:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • mikeabanks
    mikeabanks Posts: 116
    +1 for the Garmin 500
  • lakeland
    lakeland Posts: 76
    There is also the Bryton Rider 35T GPS, can be had for £160 or less at the moment with 10% off deals
  • Gladiator
    Gladiator Posts: 75
    A mate has just bought the Mio Cyclo, new out, bit pricier than your £100 but they come with full UK maps as well. Its a really good bit of kit, does the lot and very easy to use.
  • wilky27
    Garmin 500 looks great but, but £210 from Halfords: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165741

I'll check the others out now.

Thanks!!
  • robd75
    robd75 Posts: 147
    Garmin 500 is £185 with cadance and heart rate at handtec
  • wilky27
    ahh. cheers rob.
  • Ringo 68
    wilky27 wrote:
    Garmin 500 looks great but, but £210 from Halfords: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165741

I'll check the others out now.

Thanks!!

Sorry, the £189 deal I got ran out last wednesday.

I am sure you can get it cheaper than £200.

Edit.

Yep, £185 from Hantec :mrgreen:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    i would recommend the edge 500, has everything you ever need and its a joy to use. you can always get the base unit and add on the other bits as finances allow
  • taff..
    taff.. Posts: 81
    you can get a new edge 705 for £200 from pentagon gps (also on ebay), if you need the maps then its another £15 or so
  • iga
    iga Posts: 155
    I've been using a Polar CS200cad for several years now and I've been very happy with it. You can get it for less than £90 posted on ebay.
    FCN 7
    Aravis Audax, Moulton TSR
  • smeev
    smeev Posts: 105
    Hi,

Have a look at the Cateye V3 triple wireless. It's got cadence, heartrate & speed. It also mounted on the rear so you can monitor your turbo sessions if needed. I just brought mine from Wiggle with there 10% extra sale offering, so it got it for
    £98.

Quality product & very easy to set up.
    I really like mine & very useful.

Cheers
    Special eyes 4 ever....
  • BlakeysFC
    BlakeysFC Posts: 233
    Got a pretty basic Bontrager 4W with mine today.
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I've got the Edge 800 with cadence and heart rate - way above your budget (it was a pressie so I didn't have to justify the expense!) Its "interesting" ... but the main advantage is being able to see the history of your efforts when you download the trips to the computer ... The Edge 500 has the same capability with regards to HR & Cadence.

Before getting any computer I'd just want to make sure that I could get that info off post ride ...
  • wilky27
    Bollocks to it. Bought Garmin Edge 800.

Thanks for all your suggestions!!
  • Ringo 68
    wilky27 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking to spend around £100.

Thanks in advance,
    Wilky.

Love it when when people stick to a budget :mrgreen:
    Cube Agree GTC Pro
    Boardman Comp
    Carrera Subway Hybrid
  • markp80
    markp80 Posts: 444
    +1 for the Cateye V3

See also Rule #74.....

Cheers,
    MarkP
    Boardman Road Comp - OK, I went to Halfords
    Tibia plateau fracture - the rehab continues!
  • wilky27
    Ringo 68 wrote:
    wilky27 wrote:
    Hi,

I'm looking to spend around £100.

Thanks in advance,
    Wilky.

Love it when when people stick to a budget :mrgreen:

I know, but I'd only end up upgrading next year, so really i'm saving £100 :lol: