Cheap Crank Arms

Kerbdog
Kerbdog Posts: 68
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi guys,

On my ride yesterday, as i tried to make it up a bit of an incline my left pedal decided it would be much happier on the ground rather than attached to the cranks. It would appear that about half the threads on the crank arm have been stripped and the pedal will not screw back in at all (the missus had to come rescue me!).

So now i need to replace the crank arm on a pretty tight budget (£50ish - less is better). I currently have Truvativ Firex 3.1 GXP cranks. I would ideally like something of at least similar if not better quality but it would appear my options are limited by the GXP BB and my meagre budget. The best i could find is this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRUVATIV-FIRE ... 43b1b6b855

Can someone please advise if this will work OK, im getting a little bit lost in all these BB fittings, and if it is any good. I presume i am correct in assuming i can use my existing rings?

The other option i was considering was getting a Deore Chainset from Germany which i think comes with the appropriate Bottom Bracket. The parts are in budget provided that is all i need, but roughly how much would i be likely to pay to have the BB changed?

Also, if anyone has any cranks going spare, which are functional, cheap and compatible with my BB let me know. Im not worried about cosmetics.

Cheers,
Rob.

Comments