Wheel skewer working lose? Or something more sinister?

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
I've just ridden the "pub bike" (a Trek hybrid) into town and coming back noticed a slight clunk coming from the front of the bike. At first I thought it was wear in the headset, but on closer inspection the nut on the front wheel skewer was lose to the point of almost coming off!

I've not had the wheel off since the last p*******, several weeks ago and it has ridden OK so I'm faced with the prospect of the nut working lose, or something more sinister.

From the design of the skewer with machined faces on the contacting surfaces I'd have thought that the nut working lose was highly unlikely - for the very best of reasons! The alternative is pretty grim though - someone loosening the nut "fer a larf". The bike is left locked up but otherwise unattended in a public bike rack.

Has anyone else experienced this?
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• estampida
    estampida Posts: 1,008
    qr's and the like don't normally come off of their own accord

sometimes they can get bent and don't tighten up right.......

I bet someone tried to steal the front wheel, of where the bike was failed, then you came back and hop on not really noticing it...... at a guess

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004GILUOC/r ... wo=&hvqmt=

that should sort it...
  • Peddle Up! wrote:
    I've just ridden the "pub bike"

Yep we've all done that mate. Best not tell the missus though eh!
    :wink:
    "You really think you can burn off sugar with exercise?" downhill paul
  • woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    . . . I'm faced with the prospect of the nut working lose, or something more sinister.
    Could be the wife or someone close to you has been reading your life assurance documents. Suggest you explain all this in a note and leave it in a safe deposit box. It will all come to light should something happen to you.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    Woodywmb wrote:
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    . . . I'm faced with the prospect of the nut working lose, or something more sinister.
    Could be the wife or someone close to you has been reading your life assurance documents. Suggest you explain all this in a note and leave it in a safe deposit box. It will all come to light should something happen to you.

I guess she found out about the "pub bike"! :D
    Purveyor of "up" :)