New brakes?

sandy771
sandy771 Posts: 368
edited July 2012 in MTB buying advice
Seriously thinking of upgrading my brakes currently have elixir 1's (trance x3) and hate the feel. Can get lever back to grip (even with almost new pads) and whole feel is mushy. I also brake a lot (crap technique I know) but as a big lad when on a fast downhill gravity get sme going faster than I am comfortable with - I do a quite alot of bumpy down hill (living in Cornwall it is hard not too) - so want something that cools well.

I am thinking of leaving rotors as they are and going for Shimano XT M785 - any thoughts on these or alternates?

Comments

• jayson
    jayson Posts: 4,606
    I recently fitted a set of 785's on my remedy with 203mm rotors each end and so far im happy with their performance, if im honest im not totally convinced the silly fins on the pads actually make that much difference myself but they are there so they are what they are.

I have SLX brakes on my HT and to be honest theres almost no difference at all in the perofrmance in the 2 brakes, XT's look abit nicer but unless you can get them at a good price i would say buy SLX instead and save a few quid.
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    I run an XTM785 on the front of my bike, and they are phenomenal, simply the best brake I've ever used.
    SLX brakes look to be the same, but a little heavier, but having not tried them I can't confirm whether or not they're equally as tolerant of long descents as the XTs.

How "Big" do you mean by "big lad" and how big are your current rotors?
  • sandy771
    180 front 160 rear and I am prob 17st plus with a camelback and kit
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Hmm, at 17 stone, I'd reccomend a 203mm rotor on the front. They shed heat better and cope with greater rider weight and longer braking.
  • sandy771
    Cheers - so what is involved in changing the rotor on the front (maintenance numpty)? and are any particular ones recommended?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    All rotors are much of a muchness really. Avoid the hope style floating ones, since they can foul some forks and/or callipers on some setups.
    To change rotor size, you'll need a new calliper mount (about a fiver) of the right size. It's as easy as taking the old one off, and sticking the new one on.
  • jayson
    I got a set of THESE from Superstar Components, 2 rotors (203mm:D ) for about the same price as a single shimano one from CRC cant be bad.

They are a bit heavier but not earth shatteringly so and for the money i can certainly live with it.
  • jayson
    sandy771 wrote:

Certainly will aslong as your forks are post mount, ive done it before rushing through and not thinking.... :oops: :mrgreen:
  • sandy771
    OK the parts above have arrived and now I need to fit them, I was sort of hoping, but not expecting, that the hoses would be the right length but of course they are not so I will need to shorten them.

I expect I will need a bleed kit and from what I can see i will need the following
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... odelID=663
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=34710

Do I need official Shimano parts? and will I need anythng else? I have a syringe that came with my reverb, but have read about barbs and olives! will I need any of these?
  • YeehaaMcgee
    You should have received hose fittings with the brakes, as well as full and very comprehensive instructions.
  • sandy771
    Cheers, found the olive and barb.

There are instructions but I would not call them comprehensive, frinstance there are three yellow rubber blocks (two sorts) which I assume are spacers to use when fitting/bleeding but they are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions
  • YeehaaMcgee
    I'm not sure what else you'd need, honestly...

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techd ... 750008.PDF
    ^^Contains information about fitting the hose

http://cycle.shimano-eu.com/media/techd ... 746864.pdf
    ^^Contains information about bleeding the brakes.

Both of those should have come with the brakes.
  • sandy771
    Ann I'll check tomorrow but I don't think I got the first leaflet.

Thanks
  • YeehaaMcgee
    Ah, well, there's your problem, haha!
  • peter413
    peter413 Posts: 5,120
    sandy771 wrote:
    frinstance there are three yellow rubber blocks (two sorts) which I assume are spacers to use when fitting/bleeding but they are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions

One of them is a piston spacer to use when bleeding the brake. The other two are actually one thing, they are for clamping the hose when you put the barb in. Just stick them on both sides of the hose and clamp them in a vice or some mole grips or anything else that will hold them tightly.
  • sandy771
    Ah, well, there's your problem, haha!

Thanks - just checked and that leaflet ain't there.
    peter413 wrote:
    sandy771 wrote:
    frinstance there are three yellow rubber blocks (two sorts) which I assume are spacers to use when fitting/bleeding but they are not mentioned anywhere in the instructions

One of them is a piston spacer to use when bleeding the brake. The other two are actually one thing, they are for clamping the hose when you put the barb in. Just stick them on both sides of the hose and clamp them in a vice or some mole grips or anything else that will hold them tightly.

Cheers
  • sandy771
    All fitted and had a 2 hour test this morning - loving them - much better feel than the elixir 1's