Wiggo to light Olympic cauldron?

alan_a
alan_a Posts: 1,584
edited July 2012 in Pro race
The Daily Star says Games organisers are being urged to let Wiggins light the cauldron in the Olympic Stadium at the opening ceremony.

I'm in 2 minds about this. Yes he is the joint most bemedalled British Olympic athlete, however he has a rather important job to do the following morning and should be getting some well earned rest.

Comments

• BillyMansell
    BillyMansell Posts: 817
    Wouldn't he be in the stadium anyway?

My own thought is that the honour should go to a past champion rather than a current competing athlete.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Yeah, With Billy here - Think Redgrave is the best choice really. Undoubtably (sp?) a True Champion and an all round good egg too!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    The cauldron should be lit by the person who embodies the essence of the Olympic spirit the best. So either the highest bidder or a trademark lawyer.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • MrTapir
    MrTapir Posts: 1,206
    RichN95 wrote:
    The cauldron should be lit by the person who embodies the essence of the Olympic spirit the best. So either the highest bidder or a trademark lawyer.

:D
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    Very good Rich!

No chance whatsoever for Wiggo as he'll be tucked up in bed by the time the cauldron is lit. If the Star know anything about anything, they would understand this.

He may lead the team in on the last day though at the closing ceremony, or something.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    Alan A wrote:
    I'm in 2 minds about this. Yes he is the joint most bemedalled British Olympic athlete, however he has a rather important job to do the following morning and should be getting some well earned rest.

Because holding a flame to a gas fire is so exhausting?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Alan A wrote:

It is when your sport is all about sitting down ;).
  • RichN95.
    Alan A wrote:

It's more that he would be unlikely to get to bed before 1am.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    RichN95 wrote:
    It's more that he would be unlikely to get to bed before 1am.

I am disappoint.

I thought Wiggo was a bad-ass Mod. You know, stealing food from the kitchen, trashing hotel rooms etc.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    Wouldn't he be in the stadium anyway?
    Probably not. At previous Olympics the track team have often not attended the opening ceremony. I think the cycling team have encouraged them not to (although not forbidden them if they really want to). There's a bit in the Flying Scotsman where Graeme Obree talks about what bad prep the opening ceremony is. Late night, lots of people you might get a bug from, you get dehydrated etc. Not a problem if your event is a way off, but the cycling is one of the first events at the Olympics.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I'm lucky enough to be riding a bike in the Opening Ceremony and this has already been discussed with Danny Boyle a while back - we reminded him that Brad would be riding the road race the next morning and therefore won't want to be in Stratford until midnight the night before! We're hoping to 'bump' into the GB Team as we line-up for our performance as they're going on just before us.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    If it wasn't for the race the next day he would be perfect as apparently there has been a bit of a rift between the BOC who want a sportsperson and LOCOG (I think) who want a bit of a celeb. Apparently they have come to a mutual agreement which I reckon is going to be Beckham. Before hearing that on Saturday I just assumed it would be Redgrave who would do it, the greatest British Olympian of all time and possibly the greatest of all the Olympians.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 7,402
    If Locog put a celeb in that would sum their attitude up completely, and Seb Coe should hang from Tower Bridge!

It's the Olympics FFS, not Big Brother.

Redgrave is the obvious, and fitting choice.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    Well Hoy is waving the flag about but pretty sure Wiggo wont be lighting the cauldron.

1 - Its the Olympics, yes the TDF is special for cyclists but it has nothing to do with the Olympics, bit like saying Bobby Charlton should light it, world cup winner, great ambassador for the sport etc.

2 - Anyone see James Cracknell straight after he ran under 3 hours at the London Marathon? He said, when asked about breaking it, some thing along the lines of:

"Well if Steve Redgrave is lighting the flame then I had to do something special this year didn't I" - cue uncomfortable cat out of bag silence between him and interviewer. Given how close the coxless 4 were I would put my savings on Redgrave to light the thing.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I think Bhima should light it.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    mr_poll wrote:
    1 - Its the Olympics, yes the TDF is special for cyclists but it has nothing to do with the Olympics, bit like saying Bobby Charlton should light it, world cup winner, great ambassador for the sport etc.

IIRC I think BW has 3 Gold medals and at least one silver and bronze... So I think he is pretty much up there already as one of our greatest Olympians.

However, there is no chance that he is going to be at the opening ceremony. He will be tucked up in some Campanille (other cheap hotels are available) , getting a good nights sleep.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,181
    NapoleonD wrote:
    I think Bhima should light it.

Probelm is that as soon as he moves after lighting it his Awesome Power TM will blow the flame out.
  • ShavenLegs
    ShavenLegs Posts: 33
    Wiggins would have been a good choice, but the RR the next day must rule that out.

How about dousing Seb Coe in petrol then get Steve Ovett to set a match to him and shove him into the cauldron? That might make a few taxpayers happy.
  • mr_poll
    mr_poll Posts: 1,547
    alanp23 wrote:
    mr_poll wrote:

IIRC I think BW has 3 Gold medals and at least one silver and bronze... So I think he is pretty much up there already as one of our greatest Olympians.

Fair comment but its the TdF win that has put him in the frame in the media's eye - it was that my comment was aimed at. Could also look at Hoy, Ainslie, Pinsent, Pendleton to name a few recent multi medal winners.
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    I agree.

At the end of the day, we all know it is going to be Redgrave dont we.
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • RichN95.
    alanp23 wrote:
    I agree.

At the end of the day, we all know it is going to be Redgrave dont we.

Yeah. Nothing against him, but it's an unimaginative choice.
    If it's him, I wish it would be shared with Matt Pinsent for once, who always seems to be overlooked despite seemingly being considered the superior rower by those that know.
  • It's going to be Boris... dressed as a 1930s tennis player and holding a wiff waff bat in honour of Fred Perry.
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Alan A wrote:

coxing?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    PBo wrote:
    Alan A wrote:

coxing?

Never quite understood why they have coxes at all in the Olympics.

I mean, fair enough in the bumps or the boat race, or your average club event. Rivers are pretty bendy (especially the Cam), but on a rowing lake? Really?
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    How about a person dressed as giant penis with the Coca-Cola and UPS brands on it London 2012.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    symo wrote:
    How about a person dressed as giant penis with the Coca-Cola and UPS brands on it London 2012.

Try and tell that to Chris' face.... on yer bike!
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    skylla wrote:
    symo wrote:

Don't understand, I was making reference to the jack booted efficiency of the London 2012 LOCOG officials hitting small London businesses over the head with baseball bats as they can't afford to buy sponsorship like the huge faceless corporations can then trying to portray themselves as protectors of the Olympic ideals.

Chris Tarrant?
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • skylla
    skylla Posts: 758
    symo wrote:
    skylla wrote:
    symo wrote:

Don't understand, I was making reference to the jack booted efficiency of the London 2012 LOCOG officials hitting small London businesses over the head with baseball bats as they can't afford to buy sponsorship like the huge faceless corporations can then trying to portray themselves as protectors of the Olympic ideals.

Chris Tarrant?

Never mind. Someone has just told me through my earpiece that Chris will carry a flag, not set the thing alight :oops: .

Rumours now have it that one lesley garrett will be involved, but I could be wrong about that too.

I'll now walk away from my desk and do some work [walks out, closes door].
  • The Mechanic
    The Mechanic Posts: 1,277
    I agree it may well be Redgrave but I would also put money on Dame Tani
    I have only two things to say to that; Bo***cks