Back To Bikes...

Waynester71
Waynester71 Posts: 8
edited July 2012 in Road beginners
Having just joined I thought I would say hello, & tell (or bore) you a little about myself.

I have recently returned to bikes after almost 20 years (I'm 40 now) away!
Cycling, or 'Racers' as me & my mates referred to them back then were a massive passion of mine. I remember excitedly waiting for my 10 speed Peugeot (racer) bike to arrive by White Arrow couriers after ordering what was then my dream bike from Kays catalogue!
I paid that bike off over 2 years with my paper round. If I wanted it...I had to pay for it. Perhaps an attitude 'some' kids today should apply...

Anyway... Unfortunately bikes have been most definitely off the agenda since 2001 as I suffered a major back injury which in the last 10 year's has meant 3 operations resulting in a spinal fusion at one level followed by the implanting of an ADR (artificial disc replacement) at a 2nd level.
This has taken time to recover from, but now I am at a stage where I can get back to cycling. Probably not like I used to but anything is better than nothing.

It has been an eye opener regarding the progress in design & technology of the bikes today that's for sure!
I have kept it simple & relatively cheap at this time with the bike just purchased, which is a sky blue, 16 speed Viking Roma. I'm aware it is not the greatest tackle available to me...but, after all the years since my Peugeot, its a flippin Cannondale!
I have had a few gentle rides so far, trying to build up slowly, & it has been really great! The bike has performed superbly with no issues at all.
The only changes I have made are replacing the original tyres with some blue striped Schwalbe Luganos. These are much better than the ones fitted.
I also fitted a (Ritchey?) Carbon seat post, just maybe it might help reduce some of the jarring to my lower spine!

I have also kitted myself out with some cycle shorts, jerseys, gloves, glasses & helmet.

All in all, I am really pleased to be at this point...there were times when cycling again remained a distant dream.
My plan is to build some strength & fitness & then do my homework re: my next bigger investment bike purchase. There are so many up to my £1500 budget. This will relogate my current bike to wet/winter riding, but until then...I am more than pleased with my little Viking Roma. :)

Apologies for the long winded post.

Comments